Tropheus duboisi

fshkpr4evr

I have a 50 gallon aquarium that originally had 10 small (3/4 inch) Tropheus duboisi. I am now down to 6. The more dominant fish tormented some of the smaller ones and well...the strong survive. I would like to introduce another Tanganyikan species such as Neolamprologus brichardi, Altolamprologus calvus, or Neolamprologus tretocephalus to distract the duboisi from one another. Can anyone comment on a compatible species to go with Tropheus duboisi. What are your thoughts on my suggestions?

OK not everyone will agree with me, but thats life. I've bred Tropheus 5 or 6 times in 50 gal tanks. The secret it to make as many hiding places as possible. Make the hiding places different sizes so different sized fish can get to them. Biggest problem with keeping other species with tropheus is there specialized eating requirements of spirlina only. There digestive tracks are long and skinny meant for constant grazing not over feeding. Feed them 5-6 times a day not 1-2 big feeds a day. Oh and when i said many hiding spots i meant like 30-40 if possible. But that just worked well for me it might not for you.

My theory is different tank size is not as important as crowding(although a 50 gal is right at the bottom of tank size for these fish) I crowd aggressive fish and when I say crowd I mean load them up.It will mean a lot of water changes and or good filtration but it works for me.And as Corvette said have a lot of rock work etc.

I've seen adult tropheus colonies successfully kept & bred in 24" bare bones (no caves, no rocks, no substrate) cube tanks, but that doesn't change my earlier comment, which was focusing on increasing the odds for long term success.

As Kyle just stated, no rocks = no territory to fight over, and no matter how you slice it 6 tropheus in a 50 gallon tank is a recipe for disaster. Overcrowding aggressive species does help spread the aggression out, but IMO a 50 gallon tank with a 36x18 footprint is far from ideal (for long term success) for this species of fish.

Biggest problem with keeping other species with tropheus is there specialized eating requirements of spirlina only.

That isn't an issue at all, in the wild tropheus do not just consume algae, and they can be fed any high quality easily digestible fish food, right along with the rest of your Tangs. I know scores of people who feed the same food to their tropheus, as they do to the rest of their fish, no matter if they are classified as herbivore, omnivore, or carnivore.

I agree with RD on their dietary issues as I feed my Tropheus 1 mm NLS pellets and they do fine, breed all the time--Here's a list of the fish that are in that 90 gal tank. The foot print is a little bigger than a 50 gal though,but still a 4 foot tank.

- 6 Alounocara baenschi---Breeding

- 3 Dimidiochromis compressiceps---breeding

- 3 Otopharnyx sp. big spot---not breeding (yet)

-11 Limnotilapia dardenni---breeding but not holding

-5 Tropeus Moori. sp flame bemba---breeding

-1 Neolamprologus helianthus---not breeding ha ha

-2 Neolamprologus cylindricus----breeding

The tank has a couple of sections that the fish can hide in etc---I kept Cichlids for many years before my 10 year break--and I have a feel for them--meaning I can usually tell how things will work out in a tank before bad things happen and I have tanks available to shuffle things around if need be, you might not have that option--

Edited by JORG