to Yo Yo, or not to Yo Yo

newbie2

Hey all,

I have a bit of a snail problem in my 21g community tank. Right now the tank has 7 guppies, 6 cardinals and 4 cory cats in it so I was thinking of moving the corys to a 20g I have and putting a couple/three Yo Yo's in to clean up the snails. Just wondering if anyone had issues with these guys snacking on fish or terrorizing the tank. The internet seams pretty positive on them but there are some horror stories.

Originally wanted zebra loaches but arent any in edmonton that I can find.

YoYo's are mildly aggressive, but still ok for a community tank (you just need to pick the right tank-mates)

BUT....I wouldn't advise putting yoyo's, or Striata's (aka zebra) in a 20g. Loaches are very social, so three is a minimum, five is better. And three to five of either is way over the top in a 20g. YoYo's can get quite big (go check the galleries on loachesonline, one Aussie fellow had some woppers). Striata, get maybe 4-5".

And BTW: If you step up in tank size and want Striata's, Family Pet in Sherwood Park usually has some.

And see link below for an aggression rating of loaches....

http://home.ptd.net/~jdietsch/ldtls.html

http://www.loaches.com/

HTH

James

================================================================================

======================

Hey all,

I have a bit of a snail problem in my 21g community tank. Right now the tank has 7 guppies, 6 cardinals and 4 cory cats in it so I was thinking of moving the corys to a 20g I have and putting a couple/three Yo Yo's in to clean up the snails. Just wondering if anyone had issues with these guys snacking on fish or terrorizing the tank. The internet seams pretty positive on them but there are some horror stories.

yeah, i was thinking i would put them in while they were small and then move them into a 75g tank i am getting after christmas. Hoping on putting angels, bolivian rams and congo tetras in it.

I don't mind the snails, they help with cleaning up and with algea. When I think there are too many I hand pick 30 or so and it is ok again for a few months. :shifty:

You can crush some in the tank and the guppies will love them as a snack.

I have 3 clown loaches in my 90 for over a year and there are still plenty of snails, they eat a few but I guess I feed them (the loaches )to well.

J.

Hey all,

Hey all,

Hi,

Did you try Family Pet Supercenter in Sherwood Park? I think they have the zebra loach but often call them botia striata. I'm pretty sure I saw them there about a week ago. They are better than the Yo Yo's because they don't get quite as big or rambunctious.

The last time I was in Nature's they had some Dwarf Chain Loach's in stock. Botia sidthimunki. I'm not sure of they're snail eating capabilities, but they only get to about 1.5". Ask Henry if they still have any.

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/yasuh...kia-sidthimunki

I once kept my yo-yo's in a 20 gallon tank for about 8 months. That was about 7 years ago. I still have them.

They are monsters now at 4-5 inches and are in a 90 gallon tank.