Advice needed on BN Pleco,s

Frank

Okay heres the story, hope someone can help me here. Have a breeding group of BN in a 72 gal tank . the cave they use is one of them fake drift wood Things . I have got a few fry before from them , but the last while nothing. I see eggs about every 16 to 18 days. 3 times now but have not seen any fry. What could be wrong. Could the male be eating them or maybe not enough flow in this fake Driftwood. Should I be removing the eggs and using a tumbler Maybe a different kind of cave. Is it right that the male is the one that looks after the eggs. Some advive Please.

Frank

I've always had the best success blowing water right across the cave opening. If the female is mature, you should be getting at least 50 fry from each batch. Point a powerhead across the cave opening, and you'll have better success, I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...

my bristlenose spawn in one of the clay fake logs in a tank with only sponge filters running and I've had hundreds of fry so it's not a water flow issue. Are there any other fish in that tank? I noticed on my last spawn that a cichlid that I had put in the tank was able to get into the log and obviously ate the eggs.

Rick

I had to have fish w. my plecos to get them started; but, once they started spawning, the male just needed one or two good females and they'd spawn every 2-3 weeks.

There are 2 species of BN that are fairly common in the hobby, and are quite difficult to tell apart - you may have different spp. I think I may have the same problem - my male is WC and the females are domestic. I have yet to get fry, though they've spawned about 3 times for me.

I had to have fish w. my plecos to get them started; but, once they started spawning, the male just needed one or two good females and they'd spawn every 2-3 weeks.

There are 2 species of BN that are fairly common in the hobby, and are quite difficult to tell apart - you may have different spp. I think I may have the same problem - my male is WC and the females are domestic. I have yet to get fry, though they've spawned about 3 times for me.

The only other fish I have in with them are 4 angels and I.m sure they can not fit in the cave to get at the eggs. Would the other male eat the eggs. maybe I should take the one out. It,s been about ten days since I seen the eggs in there , Thinking of tearing down the tank soon and see what I can shake out of the Driftwood peice. Last time i did that I found nine of them, but only one of them made it. Well i guess we will see what happens tomorrow ir the next day.

Well I tore down the tank and didn,t find a thing. No eggs or fry. I found that the Drift wood thing he was using for a cave had A really bad smell to it. I,m thinking because there was no flow in there there was a build up of bad crap which was killing off the fry. I have replaced this with other types of caves now. Will see what happens now. Took the dirtwood thing and cut it up and checked every piece of it. The good news is now I know it is junk and it can go in the garbage.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally Have a good batch of Fry. Found them in a different tank than the one I was working with. Wasn't exspecting them in this tank. Maybe thats the trick. Just leave them alone and when it happens it happens :thumbs: