Freshwater Gobies

bottomdweller_fan

I am trying to find information on freshwater gobies that live in streams.

I have been able to find ecology, physiology and taxonomic information but have been unable to find information on keeping these fish in the aquarium. The species names I have found are:

Pseudogobius avicennia

Pseudogobius dispar

Pseudogobius melanostictus

Pseudogobius olorum

Pseudogobius penango

Any information would be appreciated.

Deborah

If you know the ecology, then you can guess at their requirements in the aquarium - just try to match it as close as possible.

Thanks for the quick response jvision :D . The problem is that the ecology is none too clear. They just say Malaysia or Australia and are not clear on whether the fish live in brackish or fresh water, whether they live in slow moving rivers, deltas, or mountain streams. It doesn't talk about pH or water temperature or anything like that.

So any other help would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you had a great Christmas. :drool: (This is how I feel after all the turkey lol)

I just did a quick search at fishbase.org If you can find these fish, then I'd start w. conditions that are close to what you found them in (ie. tap water, if purchased at a store). They'll likely do fine in FW for quite a while, assuming the fish are healthy and not full of parasites. However, I'd probably add a bit of salt - probably around 1tbsp per 5 gal to start.

When working with rare fish, a lot of the time keeping them is an experiment. Try a little something, if they seem to improve, do a bit more - if not, go back to where you had them and try something different. When they spawn, you know you've got it pretty good! :thumbs:

Thanks for your help. Looks like this tank is going to be quite an interesting experience.

I was at BA's today and picked up a Stigmatogobius sadanundio (Knight Goby or Double Fin Goby). He/she seems to be fitting in well so far.

Thanks again.

Just make sure he's not in w. anything much smaller; when knight gobies get a bit older they can be ornery cusses! And they do enjoy some salt.

I kept knight gobies and they do require salt. My eventually went to a marine tank. I lost him when I forgot to replace my intake tube and curious as he was checked out the "hole" and got sucked in.

They do get fairly aggressive. This one lived with puffers and I had to separate because the puffers were getting harrassed and outcompeted for food.

Js

• 2 months later...
I am trying to find information on freshwater gobies that live in streams.

I have been able to find ecology, physiology and taxonomic information but have been unable to find information on keeping these fish in the aquarium. The species names I have found are:

Pseudogobius avicennia

Pseudogobius dispar

Pseudogobius melanostictus

Pseudogobius olorum

Pseudogobius penango

Any information would be appreciated.

Deborah

This group may be able to advise: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/gobygroup/