Microbubbles! Help!

Barracuda-m

Hi

I did a 30% WC last night, and treated the water with Prime before it was added, added a little salt, and replaced it. I always do it this way (well, I only use salt every second WC)

I woke up this morning to find 3 little tetras dead, stuck to the filter intake, and my silver dollar is COVERED in microbubbles!!! I know thats bad. The water wasn't cloudy when I put it in, I let it sit for an hour first, and stirred it a couple of times.

How do I get the bubbles off of him? He seems to be the only one affected by this. (Another fish showed a few bubbles on one side today, they have since disappeared, as he likes to swim in the heavily planted part of the tank)

Can you post a picture?

Cold water holds more dissolved gasses than warm water. What the bubbles likely are is dissolved gasses coming out of solution. It can be deadly to fish if these bubbles get caught in their gills, from what I've heard. This is why many people recommend airating your new water over night.

That being said, I change my water with a hose right from the tap; and, on my planted tanks, I try not to agitate the surface much at all. I get tonnes of these little bubbles in the water all the time. I haven't had a fish death in months - and I don't think I've ever had a fish die due to microbubbles. I just let them swim the bubbles off.

I know this was mostly anecdotal, but I just want to share my experience with you.