My Betta Needs a New Tank

fishprincess

I have a betta named Prince. He is in a one-gallon bowl with no heater, or even a filter. When I bought Prince I didn't know that he would be happier in a heated, bigger tank. Right now he is on our furnace room floor because our basement has inground heating, so his water is approximately 75 degrees constantly which is an improvement from where he lived in the kitchen, as the room temperature would go down to 69 degrees at night. He got fungus from being too cold so I have been treating him with Methylene Blue (stopped that now) and Bettafix. He seems better but I have researched and discovered these aren't the best condiitions for his life. Plus, we miss him being part of the life upstairs and we want him back in the kitchen.

He can't go in my community tank because there are barbs in it and it seems its too hostile in there. Also, I have a bubbler so the water moves quite a bit.

I think Prince would prefer at least a five-gallon. What tank size should I get, where is a good place to buy one, who would make good tankmates for him, should I have a bubbler, and how much would it all cost?

Thanks!

fishprincess

P.S. I can't have something really bright colored (He's used to being an only fish and the boss of everyone) or something that needs a big tank, like mollies. Would he be alright with guppies? If so, what is the minimum amount of water guppies need? I also can't put in a female betta because I'm sorta new and not set up for breeding (Especially culling fry that don't seem like they'll make it - I'm very squeamish!)

If space is an issue go with a 5 otherwise a 10 would be much better. Include live plants , you'll find he feels more at home, safe. A corner filter is sufficient but consider a small HOB power filter. Definitely a heater. You could add small tetras such as cardinals. Guppies may be alright but are likely to get picked on by him. Something a bit faster is better. Used tanks are great at this size. Look at spending $25 for everything if used.

If space is an issue go with a 5 otherwise a 10 would be much better. Include live plants , you'll find he feels more at home, safe. A corner filter is sufficient but consider a small HOB power filter. Definitely a heater. You could add small tetras such as cardinals. Guppies may be alright but are likely to get picked on by him. Something a bit faster is better. Used tanks are great at this size. Look at spending $25 for everything if used.

Thanks, Qattarra, but I'm a bit nervous about using live plants (I used to have Prince with a live plant, but it was rotting really bad because of the medication I was using to treat Prince. Plus, when he got ich, even though it was succesfully treated, I suspected he had gotten it from the plant as it was hauled out of a tank with fish in it and I don't know how clean/healthy that tank was). Right now I have him with a silk plant. He just loves it and would be really upset with me if I took it away.

I really like cardinal tetras, but I also like glowlights because I had one named Glow and she died shortly because I didn't know how to properly take care of her. Once I found out tetras liked to be in groups I felt really guilty. Would a school of glowlight tetras be ok with Prince?

What's an HOB power filter and where is a good place to get used tanks and equipment in Calgary?

Should I have a bubbler/airstone if I get him a five-gallon?

Thank you thank you thank you SOOO much for all your help!

fishprincess

Hang On Back . Check out any of our sponsors , this is available most everywhere . If you are keeping up your weekly water changes and therefor your water quality up, you'll do just fine with a live plant. The advantages are great. They help keep your water chemistry in good shape. There are many on here that can teach you a lot about plants. I'm too new at them. Aquagardening can be very rewarding too. I'm sure you'll be able to get a few starter plants from your local AAers if you ask.

Hi, fishprincess

You could go with a 2.5 gal tank, for one betta which he would be just as happy as a bug in rug, betta's are territoral fish, they like their area free from invaders of any sort if at all possible, males especially.

I have small heaters which are preset to 75 degrees, which is a temp that is just fine for a betta. This is the temp I am most successful with, for my breeding and raising fry.

Most of my betta's are in room temp, and do just fine under those conditions, as well. Most people believe that this causes illness's in a betta but thats not so, its water conditions.

Water is key with betta's because they have no filtration in bowls vs tanks, water gets mucky really fast, so daily water changes to no more then every second day water changes if you are keeping them without a filter system.

What they truely prefer more then anything, is a peat moss, if you put a sack of peat in the tank they will love it. It helps lower the PH values, and adds minerals they need too as well, betta's live in a lot of leaf cluttered waters. Also live plants are great not only beautiful to look at betta's appreciate the cover.

I wouldn't suggest putting them in with guppies. If you are going with a larger tank with tank mates.

Hi, fishprincess

You could go with a 2.5 gal tank, for one betta which he would be just as happy as a bug in rug, betta's are territoral fish, they like their area free from invaders of any sort if at all possible, males especially.

I have small heaters which are preset to 75 degrees, which is a temp that is just fine for a betta. This is the temp I am most successful with, for my breeding and raising fry.

Most of my betta's are in room temp, and do just fine under those conditions, as well. Most people believe that this causes illness's in a betta but thats not so, its water conditions.

Water is key with betta's because they have no filtration in bowls vs tanks, water gets mucky really fast, so daily water changes to no more then every second day water changes if you are keeping them without a filter system.

What they truely prefer more then anything, is a peat moss, if you put a sack of peat in the tank they will love it. It helps lower the PH values, and adds minerals they need too as well, betta's live in a lot of leaf cluttered waters. Also live plants are great not only beautiful to look at betta's appreciate the cover.

I wouldn't suggest putting them in with guppies. If you are going with a larger tank with tank mates.

Hi BlackMumba:

What store can you get the small heaters and peat moss at?

Thank you for the advice about the water changes. Back when I was a clueless newbie I almost never did water changes.

Thanks again!

fishprincess

P.S. Some people say that you should put bettas with guppies, some people say that if you do he will eat the guppy/guppies, and some people say you can but there's a risk. The store I got my community tank at has bettas in two of their guppy tanks and they get along fine. How come I can't put bettas with guppies? Is it because of the bright colors?

P.S. Some people say that you should put bettas with guppies, some people say that if you do he will eat the guppy/guppies, and some people say you can but there's a risk. The store I got my community tank at has bettas in two of their guppy tanks and they get along fine. How come I can't put bettas with guppies? Is it because of the bright colors?

Hi fishprincess,

There is no real yes or no to this because there are so many factors that play in. If you have a small tank with one Betta and a couple of male guppies, then there is a far greater chance that the guppies will get hurt than if you have a larger tank with tons of guppies. It also depends on the individual Betta. Some are "meaner" than others. The size and color of the guppies fins may also play a role here. Endlers are probably a better choice with Bettas because they have smaller fins and are a bit quicker around the corners.

Hi fishprincess,

There is no real yes or no to this because there are so many factors that play in. If you have a small tank with one Betta and a couple of male guppies, then there is a far greater chance that the guppies will get hurt than if you have a larger tank with tons of guppies. It also depends on the individual Betta. Some are "meaner" than others. The size and color of the guppies fins may also play a role here. Endlers are probably a better choice with Bettas because they have smaller fins and are a bit quicker around the corners.

HI fishprincess,

Patrick is correct, I have had my betta's with my guppies in a 10 gal tank, the betta torn the guppies fins to pieces.. what the betta see is a brightly colored fish with large fins, in his world this guppy is a threat to his territory he will defend it mercilessly. Not to mention that Guppy males will try to breed with anything, even other species of fish annoying the betta who is likes his space. Its like the weird drunk guy at the bar who is slobbering all over you touching you when unwelcomed. The betta nips back, and guppies aren't very smart they go back for more and more... If you do go with guppies, I suggest NO MALES only females.

So, bettas are less aggressive then others, so the risk is putting a betta in and crossing your fingers on his temperment. You'll do better without Guppies IMO, but its not to say it can't be done, I wouldn't personally risk it.

As for the Question on Heater and peat moss, I purchased the heater that fits into my 2.5 gal tank at Big Al's they are about 6inchs in length and fit perfectly in, as for Peat Moss.

You purchase it at a garden store, make sure its free of chemicals, go natural... when I get home I can give the brand I am currently using...it's cheap and in expensive, cut up old nylons boil them first incase of dyes... get them to the point the water is crystal clear, put peat moss in the sacks tie up and drop in.

You will notice a bit of tanning to your water, thats okay it will disappear with water changes. You will always know if your betta is healthy and happy, they blow bubble nests, if under the weather they will not... Not that treatment is needed but be watchful in anycase.

I hope this helps !

Hi fishprincess,

HI fishprincess,

Patrick is correct, I have had my betta's with my guppies in a 10 gal tank, the betta torn the guppies fins to pieces.. what the betta see is a brightly colored fish with large fins, in his world this guppy is a threat to his territory he will defend it mercilessly. Not to mention that Guppy males will try to breed with anything, even other species of fish annoying the betta who is likes his space. Its like the weird drunk guy at the bar who is slobbering all over you touching you when unwelcomed. The betta nips back, and guppies aren't very smart they go back for more and more... If you do go with guppies, I suggest NO MALES only females.

So, bettas are less aggressive then others, so the risk is putting a betta in and crossing your fingers on his temperment. You'll do better without Guppies IMO, but its not to say it can't be done, I wouldn't personally risk it.

As for the Question on Heater and peat moss, I purchased the heater that fits into my 2.5 gal tank at Big Al's they are about 6inchs in length and fit perfectly in, as for Peat Moss.

You purchase it at a garden store, make sure its free of chemicals, go natural... when I get home I can give the brand I am currently using...it's cheap and in expensive, cut up old nylons boil them first incase of dyes... get them to the point the water is crystal clear, put peat moss in the sacks tie up and drop in.

You will notice a bit of tanning to your water, thats okay it will disappear with water changes. You will always know if your betta is healthy and happy, they blow bubble nests, if under the weather they will not... Not that treatment is needed but be watchful in anycase.

I hope this helps !

Hi BlackMumba:

Thanks for the advice. A few days ago I saw my favorite guppy being killed by some tiger barbs (I should have known better - all the sites I've been to with the word barb say that tiger barbs are very nippy), and watching a guppy die is most definitely NOT something I want to do again.

I've read that sometimes livebearers can change gender if there are no possible mates (Just males and no females, etc.). What if I buy females and one of them has a sex change and annoys Prince? *Giggles*

I'm pretty sure that guppies are also called millionsfish because if you have even one breeding pair, you will soon have thousands. If I get some guppies, what would be the best way to save the fry? A breeding box? A breeding net? Just leaving them and hoping some will hide in the plants? Where is a good store to get a breeding box/net anyway?

So a male guppy would try to mate with a grilled cheese sandwich if he got the chance? (LOL)

I'm definitely going to:

Look for a bigger bowl with a heater

Experiment with peat moss

Where did you hear about the peat moss trick?

Thanks!

fishprincess

As for guppies, and most livebearers , keep a heavily planted tank. Lots of small leaves gives the babies places to hide, grow and feed. It sounds like you want a new tank and fish with or without Prince in it . LOL That's how it starts, MTS , the desease not the snails.

I've kept a male beta in with my tropical fish (swordtails, neons etc.), without any problems as the other inhabitants are not aggressive and he's too slow and too distracted to go after any of them. It's up to you , if he's played with and water kept very clean/changed, he'll be fine by himself in the gallon tank/jar. If you do want tank mates , do move into a 10 gal with possibly up to 5 of something else that's quick swimmers. 5 small tetras will school together.

As for guppies, and most livebearers , keep a heavily planted tank. Lots of small leaves gives the babies places to hide, grow and feed. It sounds like you want a new tank and fish with or without Prince in it . LOL That's how it starts, MTS , the desease not the snails.

I've kept a male beta in with my tropical fish (swordtails, neons etc.), without any problems as the other inhabitants are not aggressive and he's too slow and too distracted to go after any of them. It's up to you , if he's played with and water kept very clean/changed, he'll be fine by himself in the gallon tank/jar. If you do want tank mates , do move into a 10 gal with possibly up to 5 of something else that's quick swimmers. 5 small tetras will school together.

Qattarra:

I'll probably put cardinals and/or glowlights in with him.

Thanks!

fishprincess

Hi BlackMumba:

I've read that sometimes livebearers can change gender if there are no possible mates (Just males and no females, etc.). What if I buy females and one of them has a sex change and annoys Prince? *Giggles*

Well, as far as Guppies changing gender, no but they will try to mate with Male and Male, females don't really care... I've had guppy Males try to mate each other with females present so Yes Guppies would mate with a grilled cheese if they thought it was mateable... LOL

I'm pretty sure that guppies are also called millionsfish because if you have even one breeding pair, you will soon have thousands. YES very true, Guppies can have up to at min 3 litters without haveing a male present, if it was exposed to a male in the past.

If I get some guppies, what would be the best way to save the fry? A breeding box? A breeding net? Just leaving them and hoping some will hide in the plants? Where is a good store to get a breeding box/net anyway? All of the above, if you want to save all of the Guppy fry Breeding box, the female may eat some, or any other fish.. if left in the tank, but a well planted tank you will have fry grow up to full size in no time, but not a full batch, trust me you don't need a full batch anyways... they are worse then rabbits.

I'm definitely going to:

Look for a bigger bowl with a heater

Experiment with peat moss

Where did you hear about the peat moss trick? ITs a trick used in aquarium keeping forever... Peat moss is just ground up tree/leaves etc... what is on a creek floor, when you really think about it makes sense. You'll run into a lot of neat tricks here and there, most people here have a few tricks they personally developed and really works.

Your welcome :) good luck with your new tank, PS: experiment and have fun... you'll learn what to do and what not to do in a hurry...

Thanks!

fishprincess

Blackmumba pretty much covered most everything.

With my betta i keep in a 2.5g with two female guppies , when they were first put inthey were small enouhg to be bite sized snacks, but now 4 months later, they've grown to the point that, my betta hasn't bothered them. He doesn't mind them now, and he is usually out in hte clear with them swimming around him he just sits there , most the time staring at me till i give him food.

For filtration, i'm using a small HOB from aquagiant, it's quiet loud plus hte intake isn't in the best shape right now, so i would use, something with an adjustable flow, such as the elite mini.

As with the peat moss BlackMumba mention, one of the things it does is that it will soften, and lowe the ph of the water as well, to values which bettas prefer, also keep in mind that i think that Edmonton and Calgary water is quite hard, in contrast to the softer, more slightly acidic water the bettas prefer, so with using peat moss it helps create a more "natural" setting for him/her to reside in.

I just put Prince in his new tank. It is very nice to have him back in the kitchen. It's five gallons and has his old plant in it, plus some blue Marina gravel, a thermometer, and a heater. BlackMumba, patrick, Qatarra and Viettxboii, thank you very much for your help!

One more question: I'm thinking of putting an African Dwarf Frog in with him (if he's not aggressive towards it). Would an ADF be alright in Prince's five-gallon? Would a cory and/or an apple snail for cleaning work "betta"?

Thanks!

fishprincess

I know nothing on frogs, cories need a group to be happy. A snail might be fun but Prince may go after his/her antenna. A 5 sounds good and roomy Prince must be happy in his new digs. An oto would be a good cleaning crew or a small pleco. Not a lot of room for extra roommates though, maybe just add decorations he can swim through instead of extra bio load . :hey: