Background Material

Slough Shark

Does anyone know of a meterial I can use as the background to my background? I want to make a nackground for my 6 gallon tank out of cork bark, but I need some material that silicone adheres to, and that I can cut easily. I was thinking some kind of thin wood (maybe the stuff they use for plane models) because it doesn't need to be very strong (it will be supported by the acrylic back pane, and the front will be protected by the bark).

What do you DIY guys think? I am using the tank to house captive bred Celestial Pearl Danios (hopefully), otherwise it will likely be shrimp or a betta pair.

Thanks,

Taylor

Can you not attach the cork to the back of the tank?

I don't really want to. If it turns out I don't like it, it will be hard to get the cork off of the Acrylic and probably wouldn't be a lot easier to get off the glass tank either (I'm thinking of doing both now), so I wanted to use the above mentioned material and give it dabs of silicone, just enough to keep it attatched. Plus I need to be in control of the shape of the background because I'd like to cover the filter intake (only in the 6 Gallon).

If there is a lip around the top of your tank, then you don't need to glue it to anything. Cut the cork the exact shape as your back wall, and place it in the empty tank. Then add your substrate, then add water. It should stay wedged in place, nicely.

I was thinking fluted or corrugated plastic. It's light, cuts easily, has a flat surface for the silicone to adhere to, and comes in a variety of colours that make it easy to camoflauge.. I haven't used it yet myself, but it is in the plan for one of my new tanks.

One thing you need to keep in mind is spaces. Spaces offer refuge to small fish that can fit in and may get stuck. It is also difficult to clean out if stuff gets in there. So I'd advise to ensure you have everything right to the glass and avoid these spaces.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Those sound like good options guys. I ended up using Patrick's brilliant idea of coloured fabric on the back. This along with a bunch of stone and wood covering up most of the back allows for a natural look that is easy for me to photograph!

For my 20 gallon river tank I am using a dark blue fabric, but I hope to find a sandy green colour soon.