cherry shrimp

Guest Master of Puppets

how long before the cherry shrimp hatch when the mother staarts carrying eggs? How old do they have to be before they start breeding? I have 3 shrimp that i can see for sure are carrying eggs so my shrimp farm is doing great! :thumbs:

It'll probably be a month or so before you start having the 2nd generation breeding. In 3 months, you'll have more than you can count (as long as you keep up WCs)!! They make great feeders! :P

I believe they carry the eggs for about 28days, atleast thats what i've read when I did research on it. No idea how long it takes for the babies to reach breeding age.

I started with 10(from jason) and now have hundreds and have sold more then I can count. You should have a tankful in no time.

How many eggs do each shrimp have anyways? I just noticed another shrimp with eggs but this one is much smaller and clearer.

They have about 20 eggs and they become sexually mature at the 3 month old mark. The darker (redder) the shrimp is, the older it is. The really dark red are near the end of their life span.

Edited by Jeff M

What are you guys using at 'shrimp farms'? Would a bare ten gallon with java moss work? I finally picked up a bunch today, and definitely need more for some of the planted tanks I have planned.

I use a 10g barebottom tank wtih a small HOB filter. I also have a ton of java moss and star grass in there to provide some hiding places.

I started w. a 10 gal planted (PlaySand substrate), then moved them to a 15 gal planted w. a darker sand. They stand out much better w. a darker substrate.

The tank that really pumped out shrimp (was scooping a dozen or so out 2x/week) was my pleco grow-out tank, which was fed 2x/day.

Kribs will definitely eat them. Gouramis will probably snack on some as well. The thing is that CS will sometimes just sit still, so if a fish can snap it up on the first shot, the shrimp is gone.

Same with bettas huh.

But if enough ground cover were provided this would be a less common occurance right?

In a 5 gal, planted which i plan to set up soon.

If things go well i'll have an adequate amount to count (betta, and guppies snacking on babies)

But first i'll need to get my hands on some...

I have mine in a 10G with black sand and lots of plants (java moss, vals, wisteria etc) and they are doing really good. I just changed out tanks for them a few days ago (had way too many snails!) I had 2 deaths but I think they were just old. Lots of shedding going on since I changed tanks too. I have a small AC on their tank with some AC sponge over the intake to keep them safe.

Tammy