Jewel Cichlids

Guest Master of Puppets

They can be very aggressive, They have wiped out an indigenous species of Dace in one of the hot spring lakes in Banff. The name of the lake slips my mind at the time.

Yes or other aggressive fish that can handle them.

I had a tank of a dozen 1.5" juvies, then added 12 1.5" cardinals.... the jewels were smoking cardinal cigars w/in seconds!!! :o

it has info on only native species and permits.

I have my breeding pair currently in with 2 green severums, 2 heros severum sp rotkeil, 2 jack dempseys, 2 plecos and 2 blood parrots. All other fish are bigger with the exception of the electric blue jack dempsey. No problems except when they breed and then the rest of the fish sort of stay on one side of the tank and the jewels rule the other side.

• 11 months later...

I've always kept various species of Pseudotropheus with Jewels. The largest any of those fish get is approx 6" and I find most Pseudotropheus species are as aggressive and tough as Jewels. The Magunga pictured in my avatar is currently in a 75 gallon with other mbuna and 2 jewels. The Magunga is the dominant mbuna and he and the dominant jewel basically split the tank in half. When they see each other they both want to act tough but it never goes very far.

QUESTION: is there any chance anyone has a link to an article in the news about the jewels in the banff hot springs? That is seriously a crazy story!!!