Algae eater for five-gallon tank

fishprincess

I have a five-gallon tank with no fish in it but my betta. It's probably going to start growing algae someday (Although probably slower because there are no live plants, just a silk one). What would be a compatible, hardy algae eating fish that would stay under 7 cm? I'm leaning towards an otocinclus or, if an algae eater wouldn't work, an apple snail.

What kind of algae eater would work and would I need a filter or could I just do frequent water changes?

Thanks!

fishprincess

Edited by fishprincess

in my 5.5 I bought a little nano filter and undergravel heater. as far as small plec's, a Bristlenose pleco is good, only grows to 5" in size, cool looking too.

Profile on Bristlenosed pleco

I have a five-gallon tank with no fish in it but my betta. It's probably going to start growing algae someday (Although probably slower because there are no live plants, just a silk one). What would be a compatible, hardy algae eating fish that would stay under 7 cm? I'm leaning towards an otocinclus or, if an algae eater wouldn't work, an apple snail.

What kind of algae eater would work and would I need a filter or could I just do frequent water changes?

Thanks!

fishprincess

I would probably lean to the oto or apple snail for the smaller size. A small filter would be a good idea too.

I've always wanted to keep an African Dwarf Frog with my betta. Are otos and/or apple snails compatible with ADFs?

What kind of filter would be good for the five-gallon?

Thanks for your advice!

fishprincess

I have heard of many people that have kept ADFs with bettas. Whether they get along is dependent on the temperament of the betta.

An ADF would not have any problems with otos or apple snails. However, keep in mind that there are many kinds of apple snails, and they have special needs for care as well. The snail typically referred to as an Apple Snail in pet stores is Pomacea canaliculata. This species can get larger than a baseball and is voracious plant eater. A snail of this size can easily overwhelm the biological filter of a 5 gallon tank and is not suited for a tank of that size.

Another variety of apple snail is Pomacea bridgesii, commonly known as a Mystery Snail. This snail typically only gets as big as a golf ball. These snails have gender and require a male-female pair to reproduce. Mystery snails do not eat live plants. It is a very common misconception that mystery snails can survive only on algae. They cannot. In my experience, their lifespan will be severely shortened if calcium-rich blanched vegetables and bottom-dweller pellets are not provided. One could easily be kept in a 5 gallon tank.

If you are looking for an algae-eating snail, consider a Japanese Trapdoor (pond) snail. They are quite effective at dealing with algae, as are otos.

For both ADFs and bettas, a low-flow filter would be best. Tetra makes the Whisper 3i filter, which is powered by a small air pump. However, it is recommended for tanks up to 3 gallons. I do not know of any other suitable filters.

Here is the wee baby filter I mentioned, I do have it on my 5.5 but my 4 betta do not make much mess, I also do regular water changes, think it cost me like $8.00 :

The Red Sea Nano Filter is a highly efficient mini-filter. It combines mechanical, biological and chemical filtration for superior results. Suitable for aquariums up to 3 gallons. Adjustable flow control allows for use in various styles and sizes of aquariums. Easy to install and maintain. Silent operation. Made for use with Red Sea's Deco Art Aquavase collection.

Hydor Mini Heater-7.5 Watt is the wee heater I installed too. I figured instead of worrying if they were cold, so I bought this one. Once again it was $9.00 I think

I use a Elite mini filter in my small betta tank and a AC mini in my betta's 5g.

As for a good algae eater in a 5g, I'd suggest zebra snails. I have one in with my betta and he is a great algae eater and the betta leaves him alone. I've also had success with adult amano shrimps. My bettas ate cherry shrimps but they seem to leave the amanos alone.

If you go with Otos, remember they like to be in groups so you will need atleast 3.

If you go with a BN pleco make sure you monitor the water quality as they can be little poop machines and can quickly polute a 5g.