planting in pots or rocks

happeboy

I want to put plants in with my cichlids but they up root them and the substrate I belies is too fine for plants to be successful.

has any one planted in small pots before or in some type of bowl rock?

Edited by happeboy

I want to put plants in with my cichlids but they up root them and the substrate I belies is too fine for plants to be successful.

has any one planted in small pots before or in some type of bowl rock?

Geosystem Planting Rocks by Hagen: http://www.geosystemaquarium.com/geoeng/pr...ocks.php?link=4.

I've used them before and they are not too bad. Not really enough room for plants with large root systems like swordplants though.

You can try just using gravel/sand in regular terra-cotta pots, and covering the top of the pots around the plants with slate/rocks. I've had limited success with this, and have found it easier to arrange the rocks in the tanks so that you control where the fish dig and how they're able to dig. I've got about the finest frac (silica) sand in almost all of my planted tanks and haven't found that it's too fine for any of my plants. Another option if you're going the way of terra cotta pots is to use potting soil covered with gravel for the plants, giving them the best possible rooting options.

humm... well rearranging the rocks seems like the easiest option (I should have thought of that) and I never really liked the idea of having the pots in the tank. Ill try that first. then maybe the Geosystem.

Thanks for the advice

If you use the smallest TC Pots, and burry them completely, you should be able to keep them hidden. Another option for hiding hte pots is to just silicon rocks to the pot.

I have jungle vals with my africans / I planted them in the two far corners of the tank and arranged some rockwork around the plants so that it is difficult for the plants to be distrubed... its been like that for more then a year and the plants are fine... fish take a nip out of them once in awhile but nothing major...