Loaches changing color?!

fishprincess

The stripes on my clown loaches keep changing color. One minute they're black, then grey, then black again! It goes kinda like this:

Black, grey, black, grey, black, grey, black, grey, I wish I could decide which color I want my stripes to be! (LOL)

Once I saw one of them changing. Is this normal? What causes the stripes to change?

Thanks!

fishprincess

P.S. Here is who's in my community tank:

2 clown loaches

2 angelfish

2 blue rams

4 tiger barbs

2 rosy barbs

2 cory cats

2 zebra loaches

2 rainbow sharks

2 three-spot gouramis

P.P.S. Sometimes people will tell you that angelfish and barbs aren't compatible, or that two rainbow sharks will fight. I was recommended these fish by an expert, and they all get along just fine.

I have not owned these loaches so I cannot be sure, but many fish species change their colours when they experience a change of mood or are agitaed. I think this is the most likely cause, but just to be sure, you should wait for a second opinion.

HTH,

Taylor

So they kinda have their own built-in mood ring? Wow, that's really cool!

fishprincess

When we had our 3 yo yo loaches, the males would spar with each other over the female. When they started, they would both grey out to the point where they had almost no color at all. As well, whenever my Schistura and Nemacheilous species are upset or frightened they lighten up to the point that they look like they have no stripes at all.

Here is an excellent website and forum about loaches Loaches Online. The people on the forum are extremely knowledgeable and many of them have been raising and breeding loaches for years. (I am not sure how big your tank is, but Clown loaches prefer to be in groups of 5 or more).

Good luck with them, loaches are great fun!

UPDATE: I know this is kind of off-topic, but I'm not having a good fish day. Now one of my rainbow sharks turned on the other. The less dominant of the two had been hiding for a few days and not coming out even at feeding time. Today I saw it. The more dominant one, Bully, was nipping at Sharky, the less dominant one, and chasing him/her around the tank. Bully's body was black, and his/her fins were blood red. Sharky's body was light grey with some white patches, and his/her fins were pretty much see-through. Since some of the other fish were joining in Bully's fun, we took Sharky out and put him/her in my emergency container. Don't worry, Sharky is still isolated from the rest of the fish (I'm using a regular net as a breeder net since I don't have one and there's a snow storm outside, so I can't buy one). So two rainbow sharks can coexist, but sometimes one will turn on the other.

fishprincess

P.S. The clown loaches, unlike Sharky, are not being bullied so they must be changing color for a different reason.

How large is your tank? You have a lot of different bottom feeders so that could be looking for more territory.

10 gallons.

Yeah, maybe that's right!

The fish were selected for me because it's my first tank and I don't have that much of a good idea of what fish are good for beginners. Do you have any suggestions? How many bottom-dwellers should there be?

fishprincess

2 clown loaches

2 angelfish

2 blue rams

4 tiger barbs

2 rosy barbs

2 cory cats

2 zebra loaches

2 rainbow sharks

2 three-spot gouramis

This is a bio load for a tank 33 or more gallons. You also have lots of aggressive fish and schooling fish. Clown loaches and cory cats do best in groups barbs will also be better in a small school though it is not as needed. Blue rams, gouramis and angels will fight in small tank the other of there species unless they are pairs then will defend there territory. I would recommend looking for a larger tank and if you can't get one then sell/trade some fish.

Fishprincess,

How long have you had your aquarium. It sounds like you care very deeply for your finned friends but I agree with Snaggle that there are too many fish in that small a tank.

I would guess that your fish are still young - and therefore small. Here is your list of fish at their adult sizes (keep in mind that your 10 gallon tank is 20" long and 10" wide):

2 clown loaches - each one gets to be a max of 16"

2 angelfish - each one gets to be a max of 6"

2 blue rams - each one gets to be a max of 4"

4 tiger barbs - each one gets to be a max of 3"

2 rosy barbs - each one gets to be a max of 5"

2 cory cats - each one gets to be a max of 1 - 3" (depending on the species of cory)

2 zebra loaches - each one gets to be a max of 4"

2 rainbow sharks - each one gets to be a max of 6"

2 three-spot gouramis - each one gets to be a max of 6"

I hope you don't mind, but I have added a list of hardy, beautiful fish that stay smaller than 4" and are very easy to care for:

Cory cats like you have are great fish to start with

Common Name (Scientific Name) Size (inches)

Black Ruby Barb (Barbus nigrofasciatus) 2 - 3

Checkered Barb (Barbus oligolepis) 2

Odessa Barb (Puntius ticto) 3 - 4

Bleeding Heart Tetra (Hyphessobrycon erythrostigma) 2 – 2.5

Red Minor Tetra (Hyphessobrycon serpae) 1.5

Pristella (X-Ray) Tetra (Pristella maxillaris) 1.5

Silver-tipped Tetra (Hasemania melanura) 1.5

Black Skirt Tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi) 1.5 - 2

Diamond Tetra (Moenkhausia pittieri) 2.5

Bloodfin Tetra (Aphyocharax rubripinnis) 2 - 3

Lemon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis) 2

Black Neon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi) 1.5

Red Eye Tetra (Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae) 2.75

Congo Tetra/Featherfin tetra (Phenacogrammus interruptus) 3

Harlequin (Common) Rasbora (Rasbora heteromorpha) 1.75

Brilliant Rasbora (Rasbora einthoveni) 3.5

Clown Rasbora (Rasbora kalachroma) 3.5

Glowlight Rasbora (Rasbora pauciperfor) 2.8

Fire Rasbora (Rasbora vaterifloris) 2

Dwarf Rasbora (Rasbora maculata) 1.2

Red-striped Rasbora (Rasbora pauciperforata) 2.8

White Cloud Minnow (Tanichthys albonubes) 1.6

Most of these fish like to be in groups of 6 or more but look great swimming together.

Good luck.

Edited by bottomdweller_fan

Great reply Bottomdweller fan.

I definitely agree that you should go for a peaceful community tank with schooling fish and small bottomdwellers (maybe with a betta for the surface).

Keep in mind that you should only really have one school of two of the above mentioned species. For bottom dwellers the only loaches you could fit in a 10 gallon would be Kuhli Loaches and you need at least 4, but in a tank that size I wouldn't reccomend any more than 4.

Good luck,

Taylor

Almost all of the fish you have will out grow your tank in short order. The angels need a minimum of 20 gallons to them selves, same with the gouramis or the rams. Who ever sold you all of these fish should not be trusted as all they seem to be interested in is a sale.

All correct answers. Only one solution I see here....buy a 55gal tank :D Plant it up add a budha and enjoy watching your wet pets behave normally (as opposed to stressed and fighting for their own piece of territory). You have all the best intentions and some beautiful fishes. You wouldn't want to share your room with six sisters, you'd get on each other's nerves and you'd fight. But if your parents had a house where you each have your own room , you'd have "your space" to go to when they ticked you off. This is the situation and why the fish are not getting along . :( So bigger house:D

Thank you for your help everybody. I've written to the store and I'm hoping to return the more aggressive ones that I'm less attached to. If I can't return them, I will probably sell them to another user or trade them for different fish.

I've been eying Black Skirt Tetras ever since I saw a picture of one and thought "Wow! It really does look like it's wearing a skirt!" I was very excited when I found out they would be good for my ten-gallon.

Thanks!

fishprincess