54 Gallon Options

Slough Shark

Haha, I waited to long to click "Add Reply" and you two replied before me!

I guess by what you say Jay, the Red Terror is ruled out? Leaving me with a choice between those pairs, or would I even squeeze in a pair of any of these?

Thanks for the filtration advice Albertan, sounds like a good way to go. As for the Grammodes, they don't sound very common, look great though!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick has some very nice geos, fry. Maybe he can specify which ones for me. They do look somewhat like the GTs with the facial spakleling. Beautiful fish. These would be great in a tank that size and would do well with another pair of something else with the same aggression level. You could go much calmer with severums, I enjoy their personalities too, more of a goof though, but very impressive looking fish.

Haha Dean, forgot about the grammodes.

IMO, i would get a few of the grammodes and grow em up.

and then i would go with a Red Tiger Motaguense.

either fish is rare, but if you talk to me i can get it for ya.

i would rule Geo's out as they arent glass banger types like you want.

Quinn

Yeah I don't think I'm very interested in Geos, I really do want a bruiser or a pair of bruisers :D

So about these Grammodes, they are aggressive yes? I will want to get just one since they grow to be 1' right? And I guess when the fish maxes out I'll sell him, and by then I should know what cichlids to replace him with!

Sounds like a plan to me

haha.

Grammodes are often referred to as the "mini Dovii" because of their take no $hit behaviour.

they are pretty much fearless and one of the nicest guapotes when they are larger.

in the wild they dont get preyed on very much, so they grow very slow which sucks.

Quinn

A pair of Crenicichla might be of interest as well. Some of them get to be around 8" which would work in a 54

http://www.geocities.com/napavalley/5491/index.html

Festae and midas are definitely out, carpinte is right on the edge of being to big. Grammodes may work but the they are extremely shy in my experience, especially when kept alone.

For filtration I would go with an AC 110, 2 if its crowded

3' 50 gallons make great grow-out tanks but that's about it.

ive had pikes who have had it out for the green terror. most GT's arent actually Gt's. they are acaras.

and acaras are weak. pikes on the other hand have the jaw power to rip a fishs whole caudal fin off in one good bite

like a snakehead. ive seen it happen its pretty gruesome.

so therefore i would say it is a bad idea.

Quinn

A lot depends on the type of pike, the lucius is one of the more mild mannered ones.

One other fish that is commonly recommended for smaller tanks along with the grammodes is C. istlanum. I am not familiar witht he fish but I encourage you to look into it. I will warn you up front that while the grammodes are an attractive fish, they are the source of much frustration for those trying to raise them. Good luck.