54 Gallon Options

Slough Shark

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off I wouldn't go FX5 on that tank...too much water movement even with plenty of hiding spaces. IMO, an XP3 and an AC70 would be the ticket. I am running a Fluval 404 and two AC 50s on my 58 with great success. As for the fish, JDs are a nice fish that I believe will work in a 55. The fish I would be looking at though is a grammodes or salvini. Grammodes are very cool fish that look like mini dovii with red spots. They are a challenge to raise as they seem prone to bloat. But they top out at about a foot and are notoriously slow growers so you might have the opportunity to get an even larger tank before the fish reaches full size.

A question about this reccomendation. Would I need the added AC70, I am reading that the xP3 is rated for filters up to 175 gallons.

A question about this reccomendation. Would I need the added AC70, I am reading that the xP3 is rated for filters up to 175 gallons.

It's always nice to have a HOB filter running with the cannister to help break up the surface and increase oxygenation. You could also do this with a bubble wand, but why not get a little extra filtration while you're at it? I will confess I ran just the canister on my tanks for a long time with no issue though.