54 Gallon Options

Slough Shark

I am wondering what I can keep in 54 gallon as far as central/south american cichlids go. I am hoping for something on the larger side (maybe green terror?), but if not I'll get a pair of JDs. So what is the largest SA/CA cichlid I can keep in a 54 gallon tank alone?

FYI, I wont even be getting the tank probably until like 6 months from now, so I have lots of time to plan!

Help would be appreciated Cichlid Gurus!

Taylor

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't a Jag get too big for a 3' tank though?

That's the right temperament I want though, lots of personality and aggression :thumbs:

With one of these big aggressive fish, what am I looking at for filtration? Canister filter? Or can i get away with an AC 70 or two (lol or would 2 AC 70's cost about as much as a canister?)?

Thanks for the help,

Taylor

Wouldn't a Jag get too big for a 3' tank though?

That's the right temperament I want though, lots of personality and aggression :thumbs:

With one of these big aggressive fish, what am I looking at for filtration? Canister filter? Or can i get away with an AC 70 or two (lol or would 2 AC 70's cost about as much as a canister?)?

Thanks for the help,

Taylor

You would probably be better of with a AC 110 and lots of water changes if you plan on keeping a bruiser

Ok, so I know what to do with filtration. I am confused? Will an Parachromis genus fit (besides Dovii obviously) or should I get something else? Any others that have good personality? What about texas/pearlscale cichlids?

Also is gravel or sand better as a substrate?

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it,

Taylor

I'm of the opinion that at full grown these previous fish are too big for a 54. :(

Green terror would be more appropriate in size, but not as feisty.

C. (Herichthys) carpintis (1 pair max) http://www.aquamojo.com/carpinte.html

Archocentrus centrarchus (2 pair) http://www.aquamojo.com/archocentrus/centrarchus.html

It may be better to stick to 6-8 inchers so you can give them plenty of environment, hiding spots etc. Anytime you are going with big personalities you need the extra room.

Edited by Qattarra

I'm of the opinion that at full grown these previous fish are too big for a 54. :(

Green terror would be more appropriate in size, but not as feisty.

C. (Herichthys) carpintis (1 pair max) http://www.aquamojo.com/carpinte.html

Archocentrus centrarchus (2 pair) http://www.aquamojo.com/archocentrus/centrarchus.html

It may be better to stick to 6-8 inchers so you can give them plenty of environment, hiding spots etc. Anytime you are going with big personalities you need the extra room.

I agree.

That tank is too small to have any of the more aggresive/personality.

A foot print of atleast 48"x18" would be a *min* for a smaller variety of guapote or similar fish.

Ok, so is this about right?

Central American Cichlid Tank (50 Gal):

Stocking (Choose One):

2 Green Terrors (Pair)

2 Carpintis/Pearlscale (Pair)

2 Salvini (Pair)

2 Jack Dempsey (Pair)

1 Red Terror

Are any of these not possible in that size tank? What would you put in a tank this size?

Substrate will be sand, plants are impossible right?

This is sounding pretty good guys, I've been wanting to own a big CA cichlid for a long time now!

Taylor

First off I wouldn't go FX5 on that tank...too much water movement even with plenty of hiding spaces. IMO, an XP3 and an AC70 would be the ticket. I am running a Fluval 404 and two AC 50s on my 58 with great success. As for the fish, JDs are a nice fish that I believe will work in a 55. The fish I would be looking at though is a grammodes or salvini. Grammodes are very cool fish that look like mini dovii with red spots. They are a challenge to raise as they seem prone to bloat. But they top out at about a foot and are notoriously slow growers so you might have the opportunity to get an even larger tank before the fish reaches full size.