Snails

Ruadh

Do snails eventually eat themselves out of house and home and then die back?

I have about a million or so rams horn snails in a 10 gal. , no plants.

I've been waiting for them to die down, but there seems to be even more every time I look.

I know they don't hurt anything, I was just wondering.

Rick

The snails population is dependent on the food source. If there isn't any food the snails will die. A high polution of snails means you are over feeding or have lots of decaying plant matter for them to eat(obviously not the problem if you dont' have plants)

Do you have anything fishwise in the tank? Becareful about dying snails poluting the tank and killing your fish.

use a whole bunch of nox ich as it kills invertibrates.

that or youre gonna have to invest in a loach.

IMO i'd do both

I wouldn't recommend using a Ich med or even "kill snail" products to kill snails. It could be harmful if there are fish in there.

Adding a loach would work but a 10g is a bit small. So that will depend on what else is in the tank.

Snails can easily be brought under control by reducing feedings and manually removing them when you see them. A good tip for removing them is to put a piece of zuchini in the tank(rubberbanded to a plate works well). The snails will come out and start eating it. When you see lots of snails on the zuchini, remove it along with all the snails stuck to it, then repeat. Also squishing them against the glass works and also gives a little squished snaill snack to any fish in the tank.

use a whole bunch of nox ich as it kills invertibrates.

that or youre gonna have to invest in a loach.

IMO i'd do both

I wouldn't recommend using a Ich med or even "kill snail" products to kill snails. It could be harmful if there are fish in there.

Adding a loach would work but a 10g is a bit small. So that will depend on what else is in the tank.

Snails can easily be brought under control by reducing feedings and manually removing them when you see them. A good tip for removing them is to put a piece of zuchini in the tank(rubberbanded to a plate works well). The snails will come out and start eating it. When you see lots of snails on the zuchini, remove it along with all the snails stuck to it, then repeat. Also squishing them against the glass works and also gives a little squished snaill snack to any fish in the tank.

I'll try the zuchini trick, thankx.

They're not really out of control, but I could very well be over-feeding the fish. there's four Limia Tridens and two Swordtail fry that I missed when I took the adult swords out.

Thank very much for the help.

Rick

How did you manage to get ramshorn in the tank without them being brought in with plants.....

were there plants in the tank at one time?

I would just remove the fish and filter from the tank... clean it out and put the fish and seeded filter back in... treat with a regular dose of melafix in case there are any snail eggs still in the filter... the melafix wont hurt your fish with the recomended dosage...unless they are scaleless fish... loaches and the like

How did you manage to get ramshorn in the tank without them being brought in with plants.....

were there plants in the tank at one time?

I would just remove the fish and filter from the tank... clean it out and put the fish and seeded filter back in... treat with a regular dose of melafix in case there are any snail eggs still in the filter... the melafix wont hurt your fish with the recomended dosage...unless they are scaleless fish... loaches and the like

I have an algae problem when the sun is low to the horizon so I put one snail in to help out, knowing that it would probably multiply, but I didn't expect it to go wild this way.

I think I could very well be over feeding the fish so I'll cut way back and see what happens as I gradually suck them out while cleaning.

Rick

I suck them out with the hose only , of the gravel cleaner, in the morning just after lights on.

From time to time I suck out twenty or so in 2 minutes. Keeps them under good control. :thumbs:

J

Just a warning. Snail shells are sharp, so if you use the crush with finger method watch out, they can cut your finger. I read somewhere on the internet of one lady that used to crush her snails when ever she saw them, until one day she crushed one, cut herselt and got a major, major infection and just about lost the use of her hand and arm. The veggie in saucer and removal is probably best. Good luck with snail control.

Just a warning. Snail shells are sharp, so if you use the crush with finger method watch out, they can cut your finger. I read somewhere on the internet of one lady that used to crush her snails when ever she saw them, until one day she crushed one, cut herselt and got a major, major infection and just about lost the use of her hand and arm. The veggie in saucer and removal is probably best. Good luck with snail control.

Thankx for the advice. I'm just a big puss. I couldn't stand the feeling of squwashing them so I'll just suck them out with the siphon cleaner.

Rick