Can anyone identify this cutie??

gsdvongestalt

unknownpleco.jpg

Sorry, it's a little out of focus because my camera battery is dying...

Thanks,

Michelle

Appears to be a Leopard Frog Pleco.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...?species_id=213

Nice coloration. I am not sure why the abdomen is so swelled up though. I have seen swelled abdomens in plecos for 3 reason - 1) not enough aeration in the tank, 2) internal parasites, 3)gravid.

If the aeration is fine, I would be tempted to quarantine that fish and treat with praziquantel. Just a thought, but I have never kept that species of pleco before.

Kevin

[quote name

Nice coloration. I am not sure why the abdomen is so swelled up though. I have seen swelled abdomens in plecos for 3 reason - 1) not enough aeration in the tank, 2) internal parasites, 3)gravid.

I am guessing that I do have a female, but would she be gravid without a male? The aeration is fine in that tank, there are two air stones running at opposite ends of the tank, plus the spraybar creates a good current and surface water movement. That pleco was that swelled up since I got it with the tank, so not too sure how long they would be gravid for without a male, if it is possible for it to be gravid without a male. I am going to go do more research on the Leopard Frog Pleco and see what I can come up with. According to the site you sent me, the males have the teeth like things on their pectoral fins, which my pleco is lacking, leading me to believe that I have a female. It is possible too that their are internal parasites present... what other signs should I look for to diagnose internal parasites? I don't like chemically treating any of my animals/fish without knowing for sure that it is necessary, and exactly what I am treating for... just a quirk of mine :)

Thanks,

Michelle

How long have you had the pleco for? Where was it purchased?

Someone else will have to answer the question as to whether the pleco is gravid. I can never tell by looking at plecos, the only times I have had plecos lay eggs it was the males behaiour that gave it away.

I understand not wanting to medicate without cause. Many of us who are not sophisticated enough to bring out a microscope will treat wild caught fish (which most plecos are) for internal parasites as a prophylactic measure. I am a little suspicious of that belly, but you may just have a fat happy fish.

Kevin

I have only had the pleco for about 3 weeks... As far as I know, this pleco is a few years old, and was probably purchased at Big Al's. This Pleco is not lethargic, and has good flesh tone/color, two of the big things I look at when deciding whether to treat the dogs or not... lol... I know fish are not dogs, but by my logic, internal parasites regardless of the species of the host, should cause similar symptoms, none of which I am seeing in this pleco other than the big belly... I'm gonna sway towards either a fat happy fish or a gravid fish... :)

Michelle