Stocking 33g - topdwellers

Shai

In the near future I'm going to clone my 20g onto a 33g. The 33g measures 36"Lx12"Wx18"H.

This tank has a sand substrate and it's planted. Planned stock includes a pair of GBRs (I have the female already), some cherry barbs (not sure how many--maybe 8 or 9? I have four already, 3f, 1m).

I'd like another type of fish, one that hangs around the top portion of the tank, but not a betta. I've done some research and was considering danios, but I've found a lot of conflicting info online regarding whether they can tolerate the higher temps needed by the GBRs and cherry barbs. Can anyone give me some thoughts about this?

Some other suggestions I got in my travels included rasboras but I want to have some color contrast--the cherry barbs are already red/orange/gold so danios seem like a nice alternative. Plus, I've never kept them before and I've heard they're a delightful fish.

Thanks!

Hmm. I'm not particularly fond of the appearance of these, and the lid I have for this tank is not tight-fitting. Thanks though, I'll still keep them in mind. Any other suggestions?

I agree with the Hatchets. A tight fitting lid is a must though. Hatchets love the warmer temps and they are an excellent schooling fish. I have Silver Hatchets and Marble Hatchets and both are wonderful.

Tammy

Oops...I was writing this as you posted lol!

Edited by Fish_Frenzy

Next time you're at the LFS, look for fish with upturned mouths - they generally stay at the top. Nauticus has some gorgeous forktail rainbows that would be a good choice.

Note: his are not for sale, he just has some beauties. I've seen them at NC and BA in Edm.

What about a trio of killi's? A. gardneri or A. australe are very colourful surface feeders as an example. There are a ton of different species, and you can a species that will live in almost any type of water condition.

How about guppies? Here is some info on them:

http://members.tripod.com/~GuppyGal/care.html

Or you could try a gourami or two. If you want small ones, I recommend dwarf or honey gouramis. If you want medium ones, try a Blue Gourami. If you want one that will get a bit large, I recommend the paradise fish.

Hope I helped!

fishprincess

I think the Danio's would be a nice addition to the tank. They are very active and when kept in groups of at least 5-6 they play tag all day long (probably not actually playing tag....).

I had some in a shallow outdoor pond this summer, which constantly got very warm, and they were fine.

Good luck!

No problem Tammy. : ) I know, I'm horribly picky.

Too bad I'm not in Edmonton, Jason. But maybe I can find some pictures.

I'll look into killis and furcates--never considered these fish before, don't know anything about them.

I'm still partial to wanting the danios but I'll look at the other options. Are there perhaps any top-dwelling cichlids that might get along with the other inhabitants?

I finally got a stand for this tank. Once I'm feeling more up to speed I can put it together and then find somewhere in the house for it to go. :3

EDIT: I did some quick reading. The Blue Panchax killi has my interest due to color and body shape. Anyone stocking these in Calgary? Now I also see that furcatas are rainbowfish--yellow ones! Since I am keeping rainbowfish in my 55g I'd like to consider the killis first, but both look like great suggestions. Input on these--suitability and how many I could keep--would be really appreciated.

Edited by Shai