Algae Wafer Feeding Frenzy

fishprincess

I've read that you can give your plecos frozen peas, so I tried giving one to my Alice. She totally ignored it, whereas the other fish kicked it around with their mouthes like a soccerball. So down to the pet store I went to pick up some algae wafers. Everyone is going after it but Alice.

EVEN THE ANGELFISH!!

Alice was originally purchased to help with an algae problem. She's eaten almost all of it now, and I don't want her to starve. Have you ever heard of a finnicky pleco? If so, is there a food that plecos find irresistable? Do you think I should have put it in at night?

Thanks!

fishprincess

I usually give my plecos wafers just after the lights go out so the other fish don't bother with it as much...if she is hungry enough, she will eat.

Tammy

I also usually feed the plecos after lights out. Sometimes plecos don't like to come out during the day and compete with the other fish for the waffers.

Throw in the waffers after the lights have been turned off a while. Or attach some zuchini/cucumber to a fork or rock and throw that in.

Finicky eater such as some plecos are tempted to eat with the use of garlic rubbed on the item you are about to feed them-such as zucchini, squash.... The garlic is a appetite reviver. Plecos can eat a variety of veggies. A list of which can be found on the following site under the food section- http://www.PlecoFanatics.com/forum Also plecos are more nocturnal and thus feeding at lights out lets the pleco get to the food without the feeding frenzy that can make them nervous. Hope this helps. :thumbs:

Edited by Guppygirl

I just put in a piece of cucumber. The tiger barbs and gouramis will nibble on it once in a while. I'll let you know if Her Royal Majesty (Alice) deems it worthy of her consumption -roll-.

Thanks!

fishprincess

UPDATE: Nobody was doing anything with it, so we had it take it out. Alice cost around $11. Does that make her one of the expensive plecos and, if so, are expensive plecos pickier?

Edited by fishprincess

You may have to try the veggies more than once for the pleco to realize it even IS food. Or try a piece of fruit, cantaloupe, kiwi and peach are my pleco's favorite fruits. Try inserting the wafers INTO the produce, keeps other fish away most of the time, unless it's my Oscar, who has learned that pleco food tastes good too.

I find my pleco like his friut to be well ripened. He also eats a variety of veggies.

Take a look at that list on Plecofanatics, people have had success feeding their pleco's almost ANY fresh fruit or vegetable.

Remember not to leave it in longer than overnight.

• 1 month later...
You may have to try the veggies more than once for the pleco to realize it even IS food. Or try a piece of fruit, cantaloupe, kiwi and peach are my pleco's favorite fruits. Try inserting the wafers INTO the produce, keeps other fish away most of the time, unless it's my Oscar, who has learned that pleco food tastes good too.

I find my pleco like his friut to be well ripened. He also eats a variety of veggies.

Take a look at that list on Plecofanatics, people have had success feeding their pleco's almost ANY fresh fruit or vegetable.

Remember not to leave it in longer than overnight.

or possibly Alice is getting fed just fine and isn't that hungry......

• 1 month later...
I usually give my plecos wafers just after the lights go out so the other fish don't bother with it as much...if she is hungry enough, she will eat.

Tammy

Wow good tip, my friends fish make a big mess with the wafers. I will mention this.