Cyprichromis Utina

corrosionjerry

Top half of the tank. Do not even feed off of the bottom. Spawn mid-water - not on the sand.

But - can you find some in Alberta? Let me know 'cause I would like to add to my collection too.

Yep thats the next challenge punman where do I find some! I was doing my research not much came up other then your footprint on a few sites....

I wounder if Spencer ever brings any of these in.... would be willing to split with someone else if he does..

Are there any other types of this spiecies that remain small like these?

SPencer had some of these in his last order. I had a beautiful group of them.. but they died off. I bought some from a place in the states... They have about 7 different kinds of cyps..

Im sure spencer could order in some for u. but they seem to always go fast..

Good luck

SPencer had some of these in his last order. I had a beautiful group of them.. but they died off. I bought some from a place in the states... They have about 7 different kinds of cyps..

Im sure spencer could order in some for u. but they seem to always go fast..

Good luck

I will have to keep an on his stock list....

You mention that they died off on you.... are they not a very hardy fish? If not , I will consider something else....

Thanks

Cyps definitely are the hardiest of fish. And when ordering them in from somewhere (like Spencer), they almost never give any kind of warranty with them. I've had a bunch of cyps die for as far as I could tell no reason. Eating fine for months, then suddenly getting skinny and stopping eating completely. Getting them to breed seems to be the easy part, but IME they've been one of the toughest fish I've ever had to keep alive. I've got a group of tricolors that seems to be doing well now (had them over two years), and are breeding a regular basis (though I've only kept the fry once or twice, and they ended up getting picked off by some much smaller mbuna).

Cyps definitely are the hardiest of fish. And when ordering them in from somewhere (like Spencer), they almost never give any kind of warranty with them. I've had a bunch of cyps die for as far as I could tell no reason. Eating fine for months, then suddenly getting skinny and stopping eating completely. Getting them to breed seems to be the easy part, but IME they've been one of the toughest fish I've ever had to keep alive. I've got a group of tricolors that seems to be doing well now (had them over two years), and are breeding a regular basis (though I've only kept the fry once or twice, and they ended up getting picked off by some much smaller mbuna).

What would be the expected length of life for this spiecies?

• 3 weeks later...

What would be the expected length of life for this spiecies?

I've heard that they only live for around 4 years, then just drop dead. With in that time they can throw hundreds of fry though :).

• 2 weeks later...

"wasting" happens more often with cyps.. And I encounter many people having the same problem. And there is no real solid theory of what cause it and how to fix it. The colony of cyps. will slowly one by one stop eating and slowly dropped one by one.

One theory of how to fix it is to does heavily with med. like metro or clout. Other people seem to not believe it that.

Another theory is to do a daily water change till fish stop "wasting".

But even with that, cyps. is still a pretty hardy fish. This is the only problem I have had with them in only with one group of cyps.. The other and the survivors of the groups never got sick, not stress easy, and real easy to spawn.

Definitely Utinta and kitumba are one of my favorite.

"wasting" happens more often with cyps.. And I encounter many people having the same problem. And there is no real solid theory of what cause it and how to fix it. The colony of cyps. will slowly one by one stop eating and slowly dropped one by one.

One theory of how to fix it is to does heavily with med. like metro or clout. Other people seem to not believe it that.

Another theory is to do a daily water change till fish stop "wasting".

But even with that, cyps. is still a pretty hardy fish. This is the only problem I have had with them in only with one group of cyps.. The other and the survivors of the groups never got sick, not stress easy, and real easy to spawn.

Definitely Utinta and kitumba are one of my favorite.

Do you raise Utinta Charles?