Goldfish community

hobbithall

Hi!

I've been looking into this and I think the answer is a qualified 'no', but are there any fish that can be kept with goldfish. :rolleyes:

I have 1 x 1" fantail and 1 x 1.5" common in a 10 gal and would like to make the tank more 'interesting' if I can do so safely. I've got an FX10 and an undergravel filter in the tank. Current levels have been good & stable for a while now.

I'd like to get 2 or 3 weather loaches and maybe something else? PH is high, though - can't be helped. :(

I know the goldfish will grow, and have long-term plans to handle that, so... any suggestions?

You can keep other cold water fish with goldfish but I wouldn't add anything until you get a larger tank as a 10g isn't really suited for the goldfish, let alone more tankmates.

I agree. 10 gallons is not suitable for keeping goldfish. Yours are just babies for the moment. They can suffer severe physical harm if they are kept in a tank that is too small for them. Weather loaches get exceptionally large (see Weather Loach) and most loaches can have a significant impact on the bioload of an aquarium, as do goldfish. I am keeping just three shubunkin goldfish in a 29 gallon and that is cutting it close (I believe that 10 gallons minimum per goldfish is suggested). For your two goldfish, a 29Gal tank might be more suitable. If you get the loaches, think larger than that. The more surface area, the better. A 40 or 50 gallon breeder tank might work.

Otherwise, there are a number of creatures that can be kept in cool water conditions. It's just a matter of doing the research.

White clouds would work.

White clouds would work.

...keeping in mind that if it fits in the mouth it must be food. Two rules to live by when keeping fish;

1 Big fish eat small fish.(true in most cases).

2 The only fish that doesn't jump is a dead fish.(most any fish is capable of carpet surfing).

White clouds would work.

...keeping in mind that if it fits in the mouth it must be food. Two rules to live by when keeping fish;

1 Big fish eat small fish.(true in most cases).

2 The only fish that doesn't jump is a dead fish.(most any fish is capable of carpet surfing).

So got to ask.

My husband is like a fish

Does he Carpet surf..... Okay Sorry J/K lol

I have a bunch of red hump fry about 1 inch now in with 6 gold fish and it is not a problem. They are feeder fish my babygirl just had to save...lol. The gold fish that is . and they will not carpet surf at all. Don,t matter what I do , just can not get them to surf...lol

LOL !

I haven't had any casualties in a long time, but have had surfers before , a pleco , a couple swords, an SAE, and one lucky betta who brought just enough water on his dive that he wasn't yet dried out when I found him :D It's been many years since I've had goldfish, but I don't think I ever found them on the lamb either. Just a though though, if those fish have been rescued , perhaps they are very content with their digs . :)

:D Thanks, all!

I had thought of the White Clouds - I really like them, but am mildly concerned about the goldies munching them. My goldfish seem pretty mild-mannered and were living with a weather loach for a while - they all got along great.

I have pretty good filtration in the tank and do regular water changes so I think I can get away with careful overstocking. What I would like to do is add 2 or 3 weather or khuli loaches and a dozen White Clouds, but I know the 10 gal simply won't handle that many fish.

Anyone have a 20 - 29 gal they don't need? After spending about $150 each to set up two 5-gal Betta tanks for the kids the DH isn't keen to spend more on the goldfish so it'd have to be pretty cheap. :blush: (The kids' Bettas do seem very happy, though!)

If I can get a bigger tank I won't hesitate to try a couple of different options for expanding the goldfish tank. We are planning to build an indoor pond within the next couple of years (gotta get that addition on first!) so as the fish grow they will definitely be relocated to bigger & better digs.

Thanks again,

As soon as I get butt and husband into gear , I'll have a 25 gal up for sale. I'd think by Easter hopefully. If you're up to replacing the end panel on a 29 gal. I'd give it to you right away. It is cracked and with the written help here on this site, you could easily replace it.