Fruits?

Qattarra

A lot of us feed our critters leafy greens, cukes and zukes. What about fruits? Any that are good for them? I've thought about melon, maybe apple? What about dried fruits, maybe figs , prunes or dates? Some of our fish would have eaten fallen nuts from local trees, can we feed them nuts from the grocery store? I'm thinking brazil nuts( just the meat not the shells).

I've read about people feeding their fish mellon. I tried watermellon, but my plecs weren't interested. Also, banana has been fed by many people. It just gets a bit messy, so plan on upping the WCs.

Hummm , I tried banana at feeding time (when they are the most hungry) and everyone rejected it, not one taker. Tonight I'm trying cantaloupe.

I'll keep you posted.

I was hoping this fruit and nut thing would be tried'n'true stuff for someone out there.

I recall someone feeding honeydew mellon. Also it might take a while for them to figure out that it's food.

I've heard of people feeding oranges, peaches, necterines, apples, plums, melon. I'd gues any type of fruit would work. You would just have to remove it quicker as they tend to be messier then hard veggies.

So whatever you got, test it out. It might also take a few tries before they know its food for them.

My pleco prefers the fruits to the veggies. His favorites are peach, kiwi, and cantaloupe. He seems to like them best a little over ripe....... sweeter I guess. My pleco will at least sample anything I give him..... except banana....... I figured he'd love that, but no, he won't touch it.

Never tried any nuts, probably to hard for my pleco....... I have to cook potato and pumpkin to get him to eat those, so I don't imagine he'd be interested in nuts.

I've heard some people swear by apples for otos, and according to them apples don't need to be blanched and can be left in for longer. Haven't tried it myself though.

It would be great if we could come up with some sort of reference list that we could keep as a sticky, ie, the name of the veggie or fruit, brief prep instructions, fish that seem to like it, and how long it can be left in the tank.