Dabbling in plants

Argentis

Hi guys, I'm curious about live plants. I've been keeping fish off and on for 10+ years, and would like to try them out. In the past, I've kept large cichlids (oscar & friends), so live plants weren't really something I thought about, since I assumed they'd become the salad bar. Now, I'm restarting with a more peaceful setup, and want to see if I can keep a few plants.

I have a few java ferns, and some watersprite in my tank right now, that seem to be doing ok, but it's only been about a week. Now, can I add a few more java ferns, some moss, and some other low light species to my tank without too much trouble? I have a 20g tank with the standard 15w bulb (I think it's a power glo, but can't remember for sure).

What other plants will do well in my tank without more light CO2, etc. I don't mind investing some cash later on if this goes ok, but right now, I don't have too much money to sink into this.

Also, I'm going to the March 9th auction, are there any plant species I should keep an eye out for?

Thanks in advance,

Argentis

Edit: Are there any "Plants for dummies" books or websites out there? Most of the sites I see seem to be pretty advanced and technical.

Edited by Argentis

Mini Encyclopedia

Aquarium Plants

by Peter Hiscock

I find that as a total newbie this guide was easy to read and understand. It also has lots of pretty pictures, which I like.

Read thru the pinned threads in the Planted Forum. For your tank, you could add some Cryptocoryne spp. C. wendtii is quite common, and will do well for you. Most swords will do OK in your tank as well. Don't expect a lot of growth, tho. Low light will keep the plants green, but it doesn't give them enough energy to grow a lot. The best way to get the most enjoyment out of a low light tank is to put the plants where you want them, and leave them alone for months... even more than a year. If you plant 'em and forget 'em, you'll be surprised about how well they fill in after a while.

The easiest way to grow plants, IMO, is using the Estimative Index method - it's explained briefly in the last article in the Articles Pin. Get a 4' tank, and pick up some 2-strip shop lights from Home Depot ($20 ea w. lights). Your biggest expense (for set-up) will be a CO2 source - once you have that, you'll be able to grow just about anything.

Thanks for the replies guys. Now I've got some stuff to go through. With this tank, I don't know if I'll be upgrading anything, but I'm looking to get my 60g tank repaired and another 75g+ tank in the next year or two.

I've gotten to thinking, what is the "path" of upgrades with plants? I've read that you don't have to worry about CO2 until you get more lighting. Where does fertilizer fit into this? I can see the trace elements being useful, since the plants may not get some of that stuff otherwise. But, it it a waste unless you're using a regular fertilizer? My tank is going to be well stocked with fish, when I have them all in there, so I think I'll have the major plant food covered.

IME, the most rewarding way to grow a planted tank is to go whole-hog. You should be able to get your whole tank ready to go for around $250 if you're resourseful - definitely less than $350. Your highest espense will be pressurized CO2 - once you try it, you will never want to do DIY again! Again, a 4' tank is the easiest b/c lighting is UBER cheap.

However, if you have a smaller tank - say up to 30 gal. You can go "high tech" w/o CO2 - use Seachem Excel at just above the recommended dosage. Note that Excel will kill Valisnera, Riccia, and a couple other plants, but does great with most plants.

Find a source of dry ferts from an hydroponics store (check the EI article for ferts needed). Go for about 2-4 watts of light per gallon.

Start with fast-growing plants. They'll cut out any cycling, so you can also add your fish right away, too. As your tank matures, you can switch out some of the fast-growers for plants you really like.

Have plants, have fun!! :thumbs:

Jason, I can see where you're coming from, but I don't have an extra $250-350 right now. I also don't have the space for a 4' tank right now.

I appreciate your enthusiasm about plants, but I guess that's what I'm trying to find out if I like plants before I go and shell out a bunch of cash.

Just start saving up for a CO2 system - it can be as cheap as $125. In the mean time, just use Excel as a carbon source. If you're less than 2 wpg, then you can easily stick w. 1/2 the dose on the bottle.

As mentioned, Crypts will be great. Same w. swords and Val/Sagitaria. The Val will be fine as long as you don't exceed the recomended dose.

Jason, I can see where you're coming from, but I don't have an extra $250-350 right now. I also don't have the space for a 4' tank right now.

I appreciate your enthusiasm about plants, but I guess that's what I'm trying to find out if I like plants before I go and shell out a bunch of cash.

If you want to keep it simple, you can have success with little effort, I believe. I have a 30gallon tank with a basic hood and 20W light over it and a sand substrate. I use wisteria, tons of little crypts, java moss, java fern, hygrophilia, anubis and amazon swords. I know I'm forgetting something in there. I have problems with hair algae since I got some fern from someone that had it on it. Before that I had no problems at all with this. I just pluck it off when it gets bad and call it filter media. ;) I just put some flourish tabs in when I picked up the swords a few weeks back. Prior to that I wasn't doing anything but water changes. I KNOW I could do heaps more with CO2 and and and and, but the simple life is for me. If you're interested in what it can look like, let me know and I'll post pics. I've been afraid to before now because I KNOW it doesn't compare to the plant pros. I've had this tank running for about 1 1/2 years.

Thanks for the reply NatureNut. That's the sort of info I'm looking for in this topic. I've done a bit of browsing on this and other forums, and it seemed to me that plants can't be kept unless you have 2+ watts per gallon for light, using an extensive fertilizer regime, and CO2. I'm not sure if I have a green thumb or not, and wouldn't mind finding out. I'll have a go with some low light plants, and see how that goes.

I have a planted 75 gallon tank with a single 38 watt 48" flourescent grow bulb, traction sand substrate, and it is planted. It all depends on the type of plants you want to grow and how fast.

IME, the most rewarding way to grow a planted tank is to go whole-hog. You should be able to get your whole tank ready to go for around $250 if you're resourseful - definitely less than $350. Your highest espense will be pressurized CO2

Less than $350, eh? I would say that depends heavily on one's penchant for technological gadgetry. My hog wouldn't be whole without a pH controller, MH lights, auto top off... :w00t: