90g stand

happeboy

Inspired by kyle's major DIY project (a wooden tank) I decided to try my own small one, and to save my self like $80. The stand is not to impressive yet I will cover it in some kind of wood paneling and add the doors later. But hey not bad for $21 and about 35 min (say an hour with getting the wood).

The biggest problem was finding true lumber, most of what the local Rona had would have been for a Salvador Dali tank stand. But I guess it also would have gone with how sloped the floor is.

It was kinda fun... maybe I'll do this as a sideline...

its terribly easy and fun to do it yourself. not to mention the big bucks you just saved! if anyone else wants to try thier carpentry skills out, i have a bunch of pre-made stand frames for 3,4 and 6 foot long tanks. thier all 2x4 msr rated(2100) if ya know lumber thats the best cut of 2x4 you can buy and built with gang nails (truss plates) i work at a local truss plant and made a bunch of these frames up a while ago and will prob never use them. if anyone is interested you can have them, no charge. i'll even help you put it together for a small fee (beer).

This was going to be going to be a 90 gallon stand like yours when I started building it. The legs are a little different, but same idea. Now I need room for fry tanks so the plans got changed to hold four fry tanks (20 gallon) on the top and a 40 gallon (planted) below.

diystand.jpg

Lights:

I put in a 36 inch light T12 (30 watts for about $40) for the bottom with my own LED night lights and there is lots of room for more cheap shop lights underneath. The lighting on top is a 64 watt T8 shop light ($60 including 2 plant & aquarium bulbs) and 4 LED for night vision. The 8 LED light cost a total of $8 not including the transformer that I had anyways.

diystandlednight.jpg

Edited by byte

Just wondering if anyone has seen those checkerplate lights in 36" lengths.

I got the checkerplate (not aluminium, plated metal) light at home depot and they only had 48 inch inch. Nice looking light, but the metal is barely thicker than a beer can :unsure: