how many rams?

finaddict

you could have quite a few. I had 6 in my planted tank. I never saw them bother anyone but each other.

never had rams before...looking at the german blues

just wondering how many to put into a 90g.

there is 9furcata rainbows right now.

plans are to be fully planted community tank.

stocking up at the auction i hope...hahaha

opinions please

I have 2 pairs in a 50G and they still bicker back and forth. Start with 8ish, and once they pair up thin them to 2 pairs. They like it warmer too, about 82 is what mine are at. Hope this helps. I found they bred quicker and with less fighting if I let them pick their mate from a group.

Tammy

Edited by Fish_Frenzy

Keep in mind that P. taeniatus and rams live in the same space of the tank. I think when it comes time to spawn, the kribs will muscle out the rams. I'd start w a group of each, then keep just 1 pair of kribs and a couple pairs of rams... you probably won't have enough room for all to rear at the same time - even in a 90.

so i picked up 4 rams on sunday.

1male and 3 females...

guess what?

the larger female is laying eggs as i type this. easily at 100eggs..

wow that was fast they are only 1- 1.5 inches in size.

i think i will take out the remaing girls. new momma is very territorial already its only been 48hours in the new tank....

who here knows how to raise rams ???????????

• 3 weeks later...

Once you get fry vaccum them up and put them in a floating tupperware container and raise them in that till they get good size. Do a water change couple times a day by dipping down 1 corner into the tank for water exchange make sure no babies swim out don't use a mesh breeder net the rest of the fish can suck them right through it....don't ask how I know :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah the most pairs of rams I would keep together would probably be 2. Once they choose their mate they tend to stay with them. Sorry to hear about them killing the other rams. We have our rams in a tank with kribensis, and non of them seem to bother one another, and with kribs, try for one breeding pair or 2 females and one male (our dominant male killed the sub dominant one) I am so surprised that your rams killed one another, they usually bump into one another, kinda like ramming them, but I have read that rams usually can't badly injure another. Maybe they were wrong then. Good luck to ya, wish my rams would breed that fast :)