what kind of puffer is this?

rolandocalgary

Hope this is a good place to post this! so i was at petland the other day and happend to catch them during feeding time. i noticed they were feeding a baby (frozen) mouse to a fish. i thought, what kinda fish eats mice. im not sure what kind of puffer he is but hes not very active and not very aggressive (ive had him in with feeder fish for weeks now and the odd one will go missing but i usually have to place krill or shrimp right in front of him for him to eat). he's dark green/brown body with dark green spots and slightly red eyes. just wondering what he is, water conditions, im not really sure how much salt for a brackish tank, the kids at the store told me two tablespoons per fiver which is what im using now. tho two smaller green puffers have gone to the big bucket in the sky(they werent doing any better at the store). and what kind of food would be benificial (i just dont know of any swimming mice!) . he seems to be doing ok but im sorta wondering if hes supposed to be more active. once in a while at night he comes out of his cave for a swim but not much more then that. thanks.

oooh I love puffers!

Do you have any hiding spots for him?

I can't believe that they were feeding him FROZEN food!

All my food gets dethawed before feeding.

I am not good at identifying fish, maybe a fahka (sp?) which is freshwater.

Try giving the little guy something with a shell, snails, etc it will give him something to do and wear down the beak (unless you want to trim it).

I know that some puffers like to bury themselves too..

ugh where is that Toirtis, he can definelty id the little bugger!

It does look like a turgidus, but it also looks stressed. Does it have red spot near the tail? If so, that can be t. conchinchinensis.

Either way they are pure FW that are intolerant of most fish. It is probably stressed but wait a few days and once it get comfortable enought with its surrounding, it will start picking on the tankmates.

This puffer is not as active like many puffers. They will stay in their hiding holes until feeding time. Mine is more nocturnal as well.

It can eat any shelled foods such as shrimps, crays, snails, etc. I feed my krill and human grade shell-on shrimps. Occassionally i do feed spud (my puffer) some live crays to get him in hunting mode. No feeders, too fatty for this puffer.

Any other specific question, just post here.

check out "the puffer forum" for LOTS of great info in the pufferpedia. being a puffer it needs a good diet ofr "crunchy" food to keep their teeth in order and worn down. (i dont know about mice) snails (about equivilent to the size of its eye), krill, frozen mysis shrimp. as they get bigger you can start feeding them larger shell on shrimp from the grocery store.

Monotrete Turgidus Date: 16/08/06

Owner: PufferPedia Admin

Size: 2 items

Common Name: Brown Puffer

Family: Tetraodontidae

Distribution: Mekong Basin, Thailand, Laos

Water Parameters: Temp: 23 - 26C (74 - 80F); pH:6.0 - 7.8

Personality/Temperament: Agressive.

Activity: Hunter. Nocturnal and twilight activity mostly.

Max. Size: 6 inches (15 cm)

Estimated Lifespan: Not known

Sexual Dimorphism: None shown

Diet: Feeding and Diet article

Care: Pufferfish are extremly sensitive to nitrites and ammonia and should only be introduced into a fully cycled aquarium. Due to their messy eating habits, overfiltration is recommended.

Breeding: Awaiting information

Minimum Tank Size: 20 US gallons (75 liters)

Other Notes: A member of the "Target Group".

Hope this is a good place to post this! so i was at petland the other day and happend to catch them during feeding time. i noticed they were feeding a baby (frozen) mouse to a fish. i thought, what kinda fish eats mice. im not sure what kind of puffer he is but hes not very active and not very aggressive (ive had him in with feeder fish for weeks now and the odd one will go missing but i usually have to place krill or shrimp right in front of him for him to eat). he's dark green/brown body with dark green spots and slightly red eyes. just wondering what he is, water conditions, im not really sure how much salt for a brackish tank, the kids at the store told me two tablespoons per fiver which is what im using now. tho two smaller green puffers have gone to the big bucket in the sky(they werent doing any better at the store). and what kind of food would be benificial (i just dont know of any swimming mice!) . he seems to be doing ok but im sorta wondering if hes supposed to be more active. once in a while at night he comes out of his cave for a swim but not much more then that. thanks.

thank you evryone for the info...hes doing well now and has colored a little better. the info was right and it loves shrimp and anything with a shell. is also an awsome hunter, i was keeping him with eight feeder guppys (less then an inch) and he catches most of them within a day. i will have to keep him alone i think. thanks again.