Aclimating Julies

Vallisneria

I bought a pair of julies at the auction and on the bag it says "ph is bag is 8.8". My ph is 7.8(edmonton tap water). So my question is what is the best way to aclimate them to 7.8?

I've heard many different ways and theories about aclimating but I've never done it for such a big pH difference before.

Any tips?

Hi Val,

The julies were from me. I have this problem all the time when I buy fish since my PH is so high. I use an airhose that I tie a not on so that the water only drips through. I then siphon water this way into the bag until it's full, about 1 hour or more. After that I empty the bag until it's about a third full and repeat the process but this time I let it drip a bit faster. I let the whole process take about 2 hours or so and never have problems. there have been times when I did not have enough time and only siphoned water for an hour and that worked just fine as well.

Are you on edmonton water?

I pretty much have done what you said. I put the fish and bag water into a bucket and then put some airtubing and made a drip line. So far it seems to be working but i think I may have made it drip a bit too slow as its dripping about 1 drop per 3-4 seconds. Its been about and 1 1/2 hours since I started and the water level in the bucket hasnt' increased very much.

I'll speed up the dripping and see hwo it goes.

Well I have got fish from Ed. and Calgary . My water is well water which has high PH. 8.8. Has never been a problem nor have I ever lost a fish. Had Julies and had them breed . When I got them here I just let the temp adjust and turned them loose. Never had a problem. This PH thing seems to be over rated. All the fish we buy are most likey tank raised and raised in all different Ph limits.

I could see if they are wild caught , but for tank raised , don,t worry about it. :thumbs:

I finished acclimating and just added them to the tank. My Neolamprologus gracilis aren't too happy about the new tankmates but the julies aren't taking any crap from them.They are both flaring at each other and posturing. I think I'll have to rearrange the tank tomorrow and make 2 separate rock piles on opposite sides of the tank.

The julies are much more beautiful then I thought. I've never kept marleri before and didn't know they had that nice blue edging to their fins.

I finished acclimating and just added them to the tank. My Neolamprologus gracilis aren't too happy about the new tankmates but the julies aren't taking any crap from them.They are both flaring at each other and posturing. I think I'll have to rearrange the tank tomorrow and make 2 separate rock piles on opposite sides of the tank.

The julies are much more beautiful then I thought. I've never kept marleri before and didn't know they had that nice blue edging to their fins.

They have been spawning approx every 3-4 weeks, and it was about 2.5 weeks ago since the last time now. If you give them a rock pile then it would not surprise me if you see wigglers in a week or two :)

Just checked on the this morning and they seem to be doing great. They are out in the open swimming around and the N. gracilis seem to have calmed down and are only mad if the julies come too close to their pots.

I assume the male is the larger one and the female is the smaller?Are they aggressive when spawning?Can they breed in the 40g(36x18) with tankmates or do they just stick to their rock pile.

How old are they?

Just checked on the this morning and they seem to be doing great. They are out in the open swimming around and the N. gracilis seem to have calmed down and are only mad if the julies come too close to their pots.

I assume the male is the larger one and the female is the smaller?Are they aggressive when spawning?Can they breed in the 40g(36x18) with tankmates or do they just stick to their rock pile.

How old are they?

I am pretty sure the larger one is the male as he has a more pointy vent. Other than that it is very difficult to see any diffrences. They are more aggressive when spawning and will not let anyone close to their cave, no matter how big they are. They will surely breed in the 40 with tankmates. I had them in the 75 community and they bred all the time and some fry made it even though I made no special efforts. They even bred in a 20 gallon holding tank with only 1 rock and a broken flower pot.

The acclimation process is probably not as critical with a Base PH as opposed to an Acid PH... but not to be ignored...

Have been using the same method for acclimating my fish as Patrick and have never lost one fish using the drip process... I learnt that method through a member a year or so back..