how to travel with fish

frontfish

Fish are much easier and generally more hardy than most people getting into the hobby tend to believe. When I was in the Hat I used to regularly come to Calgary, pick up fish first thing in the morning, then leave them in their bags all day and go shopping before driving back to the Hat. The fish were regularly in their bags for ~8 hours, and that was just with LFS packing.

The most important thing is to make sure that there's more air than water, usually 1/3 water, 2/3 air. Just keep them in a cooler and they should be fine for at least 12 hours. Use the largest bags you can find. If you're looking to buy some fish from the auction, it might be an idea to get some large bags for yourself ahead of time and bring up a bit of your own water. Depending on how the fish you buy are packed, you may want to leave them or put them in your larger bags with some new, clean water. I imagine there'll be a ton of people with experience at the auction who would be willing to give you a hand (I'll be there and do what I can). It's really easy to do.

Good luck!

I used the transport boxes that they come from distributors in....Filled the bags with oxygen and away I went, the boxes are styro, so as close to a cooler as you can get I suppose. All were fine. It was also a 7 hour drive in winter, so I am sure if you take these steps, you will be just fine! :thumbs:

Oxygen really isn't necessary at all for shipping, it just seems to make people think that they're doing more. When I was at Stuart's in Malawi we used oxygen but I asked Stuart about it, and he said that when fish die in a bag it's b/c the water became fouled and the ammonia spiked (or the it got too hot/cold), not that the fish run out of oxygen. We had some fish returned to us after 4 days b/c the airlines screwed up, and had less than ~30% losses - pretty good for 72 hours in a bag. There was still oxygen in all the bags. I guess that Stuart had tried the old 'match trick' with fish bags in the past, and the match still flared up after 3 or 4 days (indicating high oxygen content). If you follow the above advice you'll be fine. Thanks for the bit on not feeding Rick, I forgot to add that (when shipping in Malawi we'd try to not feed for at least 4 days).

Best of luck!

I used the transport boxes that they come from distributors in....Filled the bags with oxygen and away I went, the boxes are styro, so as close to a cooler as you can get I suppose. All were fine. It was also a 7 hour drive in winter, so I am sure if you take these steps, you will be just fine! :thumbs:

You avatar scares the P!$$ outa me :cry: