Question for fishroom ppl

stribbelldk

Hey all those that have fish rooms,

I am looking a setting up a fishroom. It is going to be eight 50 gallon tanks one 100+ gallon tank and maybe two 30 gallon tanks. All tanks will be running HOB filters and a main air pump. Each tank will have there own heater, but will have 6 foot lighting on three levels.

Oh yeah did I forget to mention that this is going to be set up in my garage! I plan to build a 7x7 room with two access doors on either side of the stand. One to get to the front and one to access the back and be able to work on the back.

Ultimately I would like a separate fuse box in the garage with GFI outlets. And would also need to run water out there too. I plan on over insulating the walls to save on heat costs during winter.

My questions are:

1. Do I need permits from Strathcona County for the building and electrical and plumbing?

2. Do I have to notify my house insurance about this room and its contents?

3. Since breaking the concrete floor is not an option, can I bury weeping tile on the side of the house to dispose of water?

4. Is my concrete stong enough for this kind of weght?

5. Since most electricians would not understand this kind of project, any suggestion on size of electric panel?

6. There is a natural gas line that will be running through this room, is this going to be a problem?

If some one has answers to one or all these question, please help me!

Any other comments would be greatly appreciated.

Derek

I would heat the room not the tanks. I did the math and on the 300+ gallons that I have set up right now I am paying close to $100/month just to heat the tanks.

If you are changing any thing electric/structure you need a permit. as for he panel I would go with 3 to 4 15 amp circuits in the room and remember GFI.

1. yes

2. yes

3. possibly depending on how it runs.

4. yes depending on the type of base on the stands

5. go wit a 6 to 8 breaker panel, you won't regret having spare circuits. Also use gfi boxes not breakers

6. no it runs through your house as well.

Rather than running that many heaters I would well insulate the room and run baseboard heaters or a small gas furnace if there is gas already there the small ones that hang from the ceiling in the corner, might help to cut down on all that power from running than many heaters and HOB's

5. go wit a 6 to 8 breaker panel, you won't regret having spare circuits. Also use gfi boxes not breakers

Take note of this one for sure, Im a firm believer you can almost never have to many circuits. And I forget the actual code on outlet height restrictions but may be a good idea to keep plugs higher off the ground then the normal minimum level to the ground ie have them above tank level.

I put up a 30x40 shop last year and the only permit I got was a $50.00 permit from the county. As my power came off exsisting power and there was not a new transformer being added, I was told There was no permit needed. Installed infare red

heating and needed no permit.Had it inspected and at no time was asked for any permits. But than again maybe there are different rules here in this county than in the city.

I would heat the room not the tanks. I did the math and on the 300+ gallons that I have set up right now I am paying close to $100/month just to heat the tanks.

If you are changing any thing electric/structure you need a permit. as for he panel I would go with 3 to 4 15 amp circuits in the room and remember GFI.

I agree... it is better if it is a well insulated room and you can pump extra heat into it!

My so called fish room has about 300 gallons running in it at the moment and several heaters... however the room is next to my furnace room and is well heated from that and the insulation that is in the room... Heaters are not on that much... as the room is around 70-72 degrees most of the time..

My total power bill for about 500 gallons of heated water and the energy used for the entire house is less then $150 per month..

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/manage...w_FishRoom.html

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/manage..._Fish_Room.html

http://fishgeeks.com/modules.php?op=modloa...amp;mode=thread

http://fins.actwin.com/fishrooms.html

http://www.fao.org/wairdocs/tan/x5888e/x5888e01.htm

The above are articles related to constructing a fish room. As you are putting a room into an unheated (i assume) garage I would suggest vapour barriers on all four inner walls of the fish room as well as high energy rated rigid foam insulation. You will find that the higher level tanks will get additional heat from the lights underneath as even flourescent lights produce heat. You will probably only need to keep the room at about 70 to 72 degrees and your lower level tanks will be that temperature provided they are not on the concrete. If you need a dehumidifier they also produce a fair amount of heat as a byproduct.

As a suggestion I found the inclination is to put as many shelves (tier wise) as possible so you can as many tanks as possible. The higher or lower the tanks are the less visible they are for watching them and also there is less inclination to perform maintenance tasks on them. Generally two rows of tanks is about right for a fish room for ease in reaching into tanks and doing maintenance as well as making for enjoyable viewing without crouching or craning to see the tanks.

In a house the inner walls do not need a vapour barrier and neither does the ceiling but in a garage I would be inclined to insulate and vapour barrier the ceiling as well otherwise you will get moisture into your garage which will raise hell with your tools etc. .

5. Since most electricians would not understand this kind of project, any suggestion on size of electric panel?

I would be gravely concerned if any electrician couldn't understand this project.

And I forget the actual code on outlet height restrictions but may be a good idea to keep plugs higher off the ground then the normal minimum level to the ground ie have them above tank level.

There is no code restricting receptacle height in this environment.

Hey all those that have fish rooms,

I am looking a setting up a fishroom. It is going to be eight 50 gallon tanks one 100+ gallon tank and maybe two 30 gallon tanks. All tanks will be running HOB filters and a main air pump. Each tank will have there own heater, but will have 6 foot lighting on three levels.

Oh yeah did I forget to mention that this is going to be set up in my garage! I plan to build a 7x7 room with two access doors on either side of the stand. One to get to the front and one to access the back and be able to work on the back.

Ultimately I would like a separate fuse box in the garage with GFI outlets. And would also need to run water out there too. I plan on over insulating the walls to save on heat costs during winter.

My questions are:

1. Do I need permits from Strathcona County for the building and electrical and plumbing?

2. Do I have to notify my house insurance about this room and its contents?

3. Since breaking the concrete floor is not an option, can I bury weeping tile on the side of the house to dispose of water?

4. Is my concrete stong enough for this kind of weght?

6. There is a natural gas line that will be running through this room, is this going to be a problem?

If some one has answers to one or all these question, please help me!

Any other comments would be greatly appreciated.

Derek

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Be careful on this one, Frost levels go down 4 to 8 feet in AB. Your weeping tile may freeze up during the winter months. 1.5" abs pipe on a 5 degree angle to the nearest storm sewer might be a better option.

4. If your house was built in the last 5 yrs. Your garage floor is an average of 4" thick standard 20 to 32mpa duramix blend resting on 4 piles 8 to 12 ft deep, It is also anchored to the grade beam of your garage that also sits on piles an average of 4 ft apart, You should have no problems with the floor.

5. Not to sure of this one, But if you have an existing panel in your garage you can run a sub panel 60% of the panel allready there. eg. 60 amp panel you can add a 40 amp sub.

6. Shoud'nt be a problem, I would try to keep all electrical at least 3 ft away from the gas line just to be safe.

Wow thats alot of great input guy and gals.

I still have a lot of research and calls to make and major kissin up to the better half for allowing this.

I would like to think I wear the pants but....even with pants, she is still the boss. Thank you all

Derek :thumbs:

Also consider an exhaust fan versus a dehumidifier, it will run a lot cheaper.