GEEZ, what a rip off

my2rotties

My husband wanted to build our new tank himself. We wanted it to 96" wide x 24" deep x 24" tall. I called Bow Valley to get pricing and the tank would be $1000 with the starfire glass in the front, and black glass on the back. I then called Gold's and they said it would run between $600- $700. Riverside never returned my phone call, so I only got two quotes. I then called a couple of glass shops with what I needed precut. It was not starfire glass, just tempered 1/2", no tint for the back panel. I did not even mention the braces since I just wanted an basic idea of cost. I was quoted $1667 at one place, $1900 at the next.

I don't understand why they would charge so much money glass when when I can get one built for half the cost. Anyone know of any other good glass places in Calgary?

Tempered glass is far more money than plate glass, Most newer aquariums have tempered bottoms but are plate glass for the sides. Older aquariums were all plate glass.

You know I knew it was supposed to be plate glass!!! I was told by both glass places that I had to have tempered, which I thought was odd. I would rather have a crack in my tank, rather then have it smash into a million little pieces instead. I also wondered how holes were drilled into the tank.

HAHAHAA what a dummy I am. I asked why not plate glass, and one guy said it won't be strong enough to hold the water (something to do with being more rigid), and I never bothered asking the other. I don't know enough about fish tanks to argue with people that do glass for a living.

Live and learn... I feel like a jack a$$.

Well today I made some more phone calls to glass shops. The ones that I was referred to by Elite, do not sell to the public. Those places referred me to shops that do not stock 12mm plate glass. I get a lady that was adding up the glass I needed, and it ended up being over $2000. At that point I just gave up. If anyone knows of a good glass place in Calgary, please let me know...

Edited by my2rotties

• 1 month later...
Well today I made some more phone calls to glass shops. The ones that I was referred to by Elite, do not sell to the public. Those places referred me to shops that do not stock 12mm plate glass. I get a lady that was adding up the glass I needed, and it ended up being over $2000. At that point I just gave up. If anyone knows of a good glass place in Calgary, please let me know...

hey if you still looking for some glass i have a few pieces that might help you out.

they are 24x24 1/2 inch plate glass

i also have a 6x24 both the bottom and back broke when some movers droped it...

if you need i can clean it up and snap some pics

ps. sorry this is my first post i have been lurking for a while now.

good site you guys have here

Have you called Crystal Glass or even some windshield places like Apple Auto or Standard?? Worth a try...I know I would try them!!

Funny you should be commenting on those prices. Where i live, the glass shop price was similar for same sizing, and tempered glass too. 800 was rough quote i got. In the meantime, we visited Pisces Pet Emporium in Calgary - guess who HAS that size tank sitting IN the store? They quoted us roughly 600 for the tank MADE! Might want to contact them too. They have an online site, but doesn't show much on it. Phone number is there though.

• 2 weeks later...

chances are youre not gonna be able to buy the glass for less then you can get the tank built. the builders can get glass WAY cheaper than anyone else(volume) so you might as well leave it to the experts and save a potential disaster. check monsterfishkeepers.com and look at some of the broken tank pics. leave it to the pro's, its money well spent :beer: