Dwarf Loaches

darkangel

Hello all, I would like to pick the brains of all the cherry shrimp farmers out there.

I have a 10gal tank w/cherry shrimp & albino guppy fry as well as the culprit I

would like to get rid of, SNAILS. I tried everything from picking them ouy by hand

to puting zuccini in the tank,even sunk a breeding trap with food in it. Still over run

with snails. I would like to know if dwarf loaches or rather if the shimp & guppy fry

will be ok with the loaches. Any info will be appreciated.

Only one data point here but: I had some shrimp, and I haven't seen them since I got zebra loaches. Shrimp are very good at hiding, but I'm good at seeing them, so I'm pretty sure they're gone. It could be coincidence too and someone else ate them about that time.

On the bright side, my snail population is now manageable.

I bought some dwarf chain loaches for my 21g guppy tank to help with snails and they did a heck of a job - for about two weeks. They keep the snails managable now, but i still have to pick some out. The problem is that in the two and a half months they went in I seam to have had no guppy fry. Coincedence - I think not. Not sure about the shrimp though. I have a 20g cherry shrimp/guppy fry tank that I put the prego moms in now, and use algae tabs to bait the snails and net them. take out twenty/thirty every week or so during waterchange.

hope that helps

I've never tested it out but I'd assume dwarf loaches would eat the shrimp.

Why do you have so many snails in the tank? Are you over feeding or have decaying plant matter in the tank? take away their food source and their population should die back to something acceptable.

ps: squished snails make a nice cherry shrimp treat. Miy shrimp go crazy when I squish a snail in their tank.

I've never tested it out but I'd assume dwarf loaches would eat the shrimp.

Why do you have so many snails in the tank? Are you over feeding or have decaying plant matter in the tank? take away their food source and their population should die back to something acceptable.

ps: squished snails make a nice cherry shrimp treat. Miy shrimp go crazy when I squish a snail in their tank.

Have'nt fed this tankl in a week, All that is in there is a healthy portion of java moss and a couple peices of driftwood with some starter plants on them. ( Anubius & Bolbitis ).6 or so shrimp, can never find them all at once, 15 albino guppy fry. I also got tired of picking them out and started crushing them but they just keep popping up by the hundreds it seems. Next option is tear down the tank and start from scratch. In any case thank you all for the replies.

You could try a pea puffer. CS are sometimes a little dumb and will just sit there and get eaten; however, if they're at all alert, they should be able to stay away from the puff. I kept the two together successfully, but it was a 90 with almost no room to swim, it had so many plants.