I had to euthanize 2 fish today

Stacey

I'm fish-sitting for a week or so. The tank belong to my daughter's 12 year old friend. The family's moving temporarily, before moving again next week! So I've got their tank.

I go there to collect it. The fish are in little cups/ small containers. For hours. The water's cold, fish are gasping. Tank still has 4 inches of water in it. I get everybody moving in the right direction, get the fish repacked. Get the tank here, get the fish in, all the while telling this 12 year old boy, 'that betta, she's just not going to make it'

Sure enough, get her, and the other fish in the tank. She's headstanding, swirling instead of swimming, and just generally dying. We watch for a few minutes, while I explain the word 'euthanize' to a 12 year old, an 11 year old, and my 10 year old.

I ended up freezing the betta, putting her into very cold ice water, before putting her in the freezer. I didn't know what else to do. I spoke to a very experienced aquarist, and we agreed that was probably the best way in the circumstances.... I was hardly gonna hand the 12 year old a sharp knife, and say 'off with it's head'

So as soon as I get cooking for these children, who of course had had they regular feedings postponed in the mess of the move over at their house.... we see another fish, (a platy, I think) doing the swirling slowly and barely breathing thing. Into the ice water that one went.

The others (I hope) will be okay.

Holy Crap! What a day!

That's a bummer.

I think the only thing worse than having to take a pet's life is explaining to children why it must be done. :(

Good for you for having the fortitude to do the right thing and set a responsible example to those kids. Sure wipes you out, though.

Best of luck with the other fish!

I'm fish-sitting for a week or so. The tank belong to my daughter's 12 year old friend. The family's moving temporarily, before moving again next week! So I've got their tank.

I go there to collect it. The fish are in little cups/ small containers. For hours. The water's cold, fish are gasping. Tank still has 4 inches of water in it. I get everybody moving in the right direction, get the fish repacked. Get the tank here, get the fish in, all the while telling this 12 year old boy, 'that betta, she's just not going to make it'

Sure enough, get her, and the other fish in the tank. She's headstanding, swirling instead of swimming, and just generally dying. We watch for a few minutes, while I explain the word 'euthanize' to a 12 year old, an 11 year old, and my 10 year old.

I ended up freezing the betta, putting her into very cold ice water, before putting her in the freezer. I didn't know what else to do. I spoke to a very experienced aquarist, and we agreed that was probably the best way in the circumstances.... I was hardly gonna hand the 12 year old a sharp knife, and say 'off with it's head'

So as soon as I get cooking for these children, who of course had had they regular feedings postponed in the mess of the move over at their house.... we see another fish, (a platy, I think) doing the swirling slowly and barely breathing thing. Into the ice water that one went.

Holy Crap! What a day!

I have a problem euthanizeing fish as well... better that then letting them do a handstand for several hours and suffering...

I read on another forum about putting dieing fish into the freezer being about the most humane way of helping ou....

Holy Crap! What a day!

I have a problem euthanizeing fish as well... better that then letting them do a handstand for several hours and suffering...

I read on another forum about putting dieing fish into the freezer being about the most humane way of helping out....

It was hard to do.... I'm new enough at this to never have had to do it for my own fish. At least it was fairly quick.

The other fish all came through last night ok, so here's hoping I can return all of his fish to him next week..... thought the tank would've gone into a mini cycle last night, what with the tank being nearly empty for 4 hours before I got there..... but so far ammonia testing at 0. I did have to refill with all new water though....

It's a good thing all of his fish are small, (so far, one's a baby Gibby Pleco!) and that it's a 55 gallon.... so it shouldn't be too hard to keep the ammonia levels under control, if the filter has crashed.

Aw... I hope the rest are OK and he's not to upset about the others. Hopefully he (and his family) have learned from their mistakes.

I've also heard clove oil works really good for putting fish down but I've never tried it. Anyone?

Edited by EowynJane

I haven't tried the clove oil but I think it may be more humane for tropical fish. I once used the freezer method for a cold water fish that had dropsy, came out the freezer the next day looking like he had just been asleep when he solidified (and this is apparently what happens). I've also seen a hot water technique described that is suppossed to induce shock to kill the fish quickly. I think it's a bit suspect as it is not an instantaneous death. The shock supposedly shuts down the fishes brain, anyone have any information verifying that this actually happens?

Cove oil is an anesthetic. Puffer people use it temporarily incapasitate their wet pets in order to trim their teeth. If you use more than recommended for this procedure ie several drops and do not return to fresh water the fish will take a permanent nap.

I've read about the clove oil, and maybe would've used it, if I would've had some...... but I didn't. The kid knew his fish were hurting..... I worked with what I had. It was also very weird to be making this decision with/ for somebody else child.

Yeah, it's hard for sure. I had to euthanize a couple fish back in the fall, and used the ice method. Then I went and bought some clove oil (it's cheap, and you find it in the first aid area for tooth pain at the drugstore) and haven't had a sick fish since. Probably coincidence, but I'm not complaining!

Incidentally, I've read that clove oil may not work so well with anabantids, but there seems to be some controversy.

I stumbled across this article, by a biology professor who specializes in fish:

http://pharyngula.org/index/weblog/comment...thanize_a_fish/