Lots of rockwork...

nighthawk

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Haha, glad you found what you were looking for randy. I honestly don't use anything in the bottom of my tanks, but most of my rockwork I don't put directly on the glass rather I mostly lay it on top of the substrate. I honestly don't think by having a rock with a few pieces of gravel or sand below will scratch the bottom glass badly enough to break it. And if there are scratches down there, at least you never see them. Styro or egg crate is great though if you are worried about dropping a heavy rock in the tank, so there is no harm in using it. It is a little too late for me to use the stuff, there is no way I am tearing down an entire tank with fish and all just to put the stuff underneath.

Me too, I have at least 100lbs of rocks in my 90 gallon tanks and I have never had any problems whatsoever. But just a reminder to anyone who does want to be on the safe side, do it before you put anything in the tank. Lol you all probably have already thought about that. You probably run more of a risk of your tank leaking through a seam than you do with rocks.

I'm guessing as I never actually weighed the rocks but I had at least 4 to 500 lbs. of 3 to 4" thick slate in my 210G - all on 1 side of the tank from bottom to within 4 to 5" of the top and never had a problem. Nothing underneath except 1/4" of sand just to keep the rocks off the bottom to keep it from scratching the glass.