First cichlid fry comeing,

vantgE

Well one of my questionably female johanni seems to be holdignt the throat seems smaller than i would hav expcted but it is definitely expanded so that's what i'm thinking it also hasn't eaten in about a week.

Techically these will be my first cichlid fry, i am in the process of raiseing some fancy tailed comets from my pons, and I have a baby kennyi cichlid in my tank (??), i plan to raise theses and hopefully this thread will remainactive and i can get some help here from the local experts,

First things first, though can somemone help me confirm it's holding? I don't have a didgicam but is their something else that could indicate this?

What equipment will i need i'm thinking just, a 20 g aquarium with glass top, heater, and spongefilter? is a canopy important?

What the best way to do this, SHould i remove the female first? I have read a little but don't feel comfortable stripping, so how bout leaveing the female in the breeding tank with them till she's free swimming?

Are they gonna be hard to get rid of sell give away?

Thankyou for help, I really apreciate anything

Dont know much about johanni but when i have fry, i used sponge or overhang filter with cheese cloth or something to cover the intake tube so the fish dont get sucked in.

From what i've heard, mouthbrooders looked like they swallowed a marble when holding...pretty sure folks here will fill you in...

GL...js

First things first, though can somemone help me confirm it's holding? I don't have a didgicam but is their something else that could indicate this?

The best ways to tell is if the fish stops eating and its throat get bigger. But sometimes the female isn't hodling too many eggs and her throat doesn't look much different. In that case, watch the female for a while. If they are holding they look like they are "chewing" something every once and a while. This chewing motion is the female pumping water over the eggs.

As for what to do when the babies come. A 20g is a good size to raise them in. My fry tanks have a filter(I use ACs but a sponge filter is great) and a heater. A glass top or hood helps keep evaporation down but isn't necessary(some of my tanks dont' have any covers). So basically all you need is a tank, filter and heater and any sort of decoration you might want. I prefer to keep my fry tanks barebottom but i add rocks so the fry have somewhere to hide.

so once your female has been holding for a couple weeks(I transfer my females at about 2 weeks). Move her to the fry tank. Then when she has been holding for about 21-28 days she will spit the fry. After the mother has spit the fry and stops taking them back into her mouth i woudl move her back to the main tank. You dont' want to keep her in the fry tank too long as she will start eating the babies.

I feed my fry about 4 times a day. You can feed the newly spit fry cyclops, crushed flakes, frozen BBS. I also do a water change, about 20% every 2 days.

• 1 month later...

Nothing came of the johanni I'm not sure whether it had been holding or not still but, I followed your advice for my maylandia lombardoi that had been holding and it is pretty much about three weeks now so i'm expecting soon she is now alone in her 20gallon tank, today i noticed that every so often she darts really quick straight ahead for about 5 six inches and stops she has done it a few times and it isn't normal for her could this have something to do with the babies maybe means she'l spit soon?

Should i be droping a pellet into her tank every day so she has soemthing to eat when she spits if I am not home instead of the babies.

I also have a elongatus holding i think and should i put her in the same tank?

What do you suggest to feed other then baby brine shrimp? can i do crushed flakes? i've read about sticking lettuce in a jar of water placeing it in the sun for a day and then pouring the water into the tank but this seems like i'm just adding dirty water? what do you use?

thanks

What do you suggest to feed other then baby brine shrimp? can i do crushed flakes? i've read about sticking lettuce in a jar of water placeing it in the sun for a day and then pouring the water into the tank but this seems like i'm just adding dirty water? what do you use?

I use freeze dried cyclops to feed my newly spit fry. Then when i bit larger i have been feeding them NLS grow forumula with great results. But if you dont' have these foods then frozen BBS(although i find this a bit small for most fry) and crushed up flakes work fine.

I've never heard of the lettuce water thign before. I've heard about feeding lettuce(not really for fry though) but never lettuce water

Yeah it's suposed to add infusoria or something the lettuce, but i'll stick to what you said, she spit but only some of the fry she was chaseing them around last night, and i thought she was trying to eat them but then she still had some in her mouth couldn't cacth them anywasy their amazeingly quick

Thanks degrassi

I bought a pack of hikari first bite at petland it's the closest store but lacks selection i found no cyclops, Anyways it seems like it will work well enough probally better than just flake and is slow sinking which is nice and makes the fry more active so far. I also found a mention of the lettuce watter thing in an article on cichlid-forum, it says basicly to get a jar of tankwatter add boiled vegies, i used potaoes as was suggested and add air pump put by sunlight for about two days untils cloudym, and add to watter this is cultivateing bacteria, i'm trying this and will let you know how it goes if your intrested,

The mother keeps picking them up after i enter the room, unless she hungary, i feed her and then she picks them all up

How can i remove her if she keeps picking up the fry?

And when will the maternal instincts begin to fail and canabalism begin?

should she be removed as soon as possible or wait till she is done being a good mommy?

Edited by vantgE