Tank shots 125 & 230

RDFISHGUY

I can see that you are using a Rebel XT and shooting in full auto mode. Are you using the kit lens?

In this particular case the camera used a shutterspeed of 1/60, aparture 4 and ISO 400, flash fired.

Try on manual mode, no flash, white balance auto or daylight if you are using bright white bulbs with high kelvin rating, shutter 1/80, aparture as low as it goes. IF you are using the kit lens the aparture varies between f3.5 and f5.6 depending on focal range. Try ISO 400 first. The picture may turn out to dark depending on what you have in your light strips. You can brighten it up but it could become to grainy. You can put a second temporary light strip on the tank or change the ISO to 800.

The ultimate is ofcourse to use a couple of external flashes from above so you can shoot with lower ISO and higher aparture numbers.

Edited by patrick

Anyone have any hints on how to take better tank shots?

1... clean glass inside and out

2... add lots of extra lights to top of tank while taking pictures

3... the tanks can be the only light source, shut off all other lights and close curtains

4... a remote triggered flash mounted above the tank is best, if using flash mounted on the camera, try "dimming" the flash with controls and/or tissue paper-white garbage bag--white plastic beer cup

5... use a tripod or something to rest camera on, the darker the photo, the more sensitive the camera is to movement

6... shut off filters and air pumps for clear looking water

7... if trying close-up pictures, forget AUTO mode... use macro mode and probably have to manual focus as well

8... tell the fish jokes so they smile :smokey:

I have taken thousands of pictures with my canon S3 IS and 90% are perfect photos... until I tried to do close up shots into a fish tank :bang1: I really had to learn how to use the camera in manual mode before I could get any decent pictures...

Edited by byte

• 4 weeks later...
I tried again and all pics were blurry.

If you can use 2 or 3 lights on top of the tank will help make the pictures more clear. Moving the tank lights to the very front of the top also helps. Maybe turning up the ISO number to 400 or higher will help.

• 1 month later...