How did Everyone do at the Auction?

NatureNut

I had lots of fun. Great job everyone. Looking at all those plants makes me want to go back to a planted tank....maybe some day. I got a used 404 that looks to be in great shape, some beautiful kuhli loaches, tetras and a few plants for my sister. For me I got 3 nice looking F2 yellow labs. I always have to buy at least 1 impulse buy that I later have to make adjustments to fit in....that was about 10 little yellow labs.

It was nice meeting you Frank.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had lots of fun. Great job everyone. Looking at all those plants makes me want to go back to a planted tank....maybe some day. I got a used 404 that looks to be in great shape, some beautiful kuhli loaches, tetras and a few plants for my sister. For me I got 3 nice looking F2 yellow labs. I always have to buy at least 1 impulse buy that I later have to make adjustments to fit in....that was about 10 little yellow labs.

It was nice meeting you Frank.

And it was nice to meet you to and have a visit. Still worried that you know ED..lol

Take care and we will chat soon.

maybe im just used to the abundance of fish and the excelent prices at the ace auctions, as the calgary auction had neither. hardly any fish and what was worth bidding on went for almost new prices. if you think that auction was good, check out the next ace auction. better yet,DONT! (keep our prices reasonable) ended up spending all my loot in the stores. that was my first,and last cas auction.

maybe im just used to the abundance of fish and the excelent prices at the ace auctions, as the calgary auction had neither. hardly any fish and what was worth bidding on went for almost new prices. if you think that auction was good, check out the next ace auction. better yet,DONT! (keep our prices reasonable) ended up spending all my loot in the stores. that was my first,and last cas auction.

That is pretty defamatory regarding the CAS auction. Alot of people volunteered their time and effort for it. Every CAS auction I have been to (6 now) has had something different. This time there was not an abundance of difficult to find species or fish, but there were a ton of plants. Another time there were nearly 100 fancy bettas. Another time there was an abundance of rare african fry and killi eggs. You never know what you are going to get.

If you are looking for cheap guppies, save your gas and go to the LFS. If you are looking for unique opportunities to buy mature or different fish, then any auction has opportunities. If you look at my post you can see that I bought and sold fish that you cannot find at that maturity. See an auction for what it is, an opportunity to see other fish afficianados and support the local aquarium clubs.

By the way, I would love to come to an ACE auction some time. But regardless of what is sold there, I hope I will enjoy the experience.

Kevin

i completley agree a huge pat on the back is deserved for all the volinteers that make ALL of these auctions possible. what i was refering to was the lack of livestock on the whole(and other quality items). i keep africans myself and thier were no more than a half dozen lots of those, and not much of anything else. half of the 'treasures' at that auction could of been had brand new in the stores for almost the same price. i absolutely would love for you to come to an ace auction, then, and only then you would understand my dissapointment. anyways the ace members i talk to say the cas auction is a lot of the same over and over,not much of anything and quite pricey, i now agree.. by all means i would love for any and all cas members to come up and check out the next ace auction, i guarantee it is worth the drive, time and gas to get here. but i should warn you, bring a truck cause you will be taking lots of good 'treasures' home and they wont cost you much. with that said, hats of to the volinteers and everyone that helped make that event possible, thank you! :beer:

I attended the CAS auction last spring (2007) and was quite impressed with the volume of items up for auction as well as the variety of livestock offered. I had been to the last few ACE auctions before the CAS auction and was very impressed with the difference in the selection at that time. Perhaps the selection from the most recent CAS auction has left some dissapointed but I have seen a number of ACE auctions of which I could say the same. Each year relfects the current trends in the Calgary hobbyists' retinue and perhaps this year your expectations did not match the local interests.

I don't think your dissapointment is valid reason to disparage the CAS auction as I'm sure the majority of attendees were satisfied with their participation. I myself have no interest in africans or any other sort of cichlid and have found both the ACE and CAS auctions to be very worth attending. The prices that each lot reach are determined by the lack of understanding of cooperative gaming theory or just a strong desire on each bidders' part to obtain the items offered. I myself had items for sale in the most recent ACE auction that sold for far more than I myself deemed they were worth but since two bidders wanted to challenge each other regardless of the value of the item, a somewhat higher price was reached. I'm sure someone learned an expensive lesson.

Ok guys let's not get out of control here. This particular auction did not have much of what you wanted rocker85675. It can be hit and miss. As for prices, an items worth to you is what you are willing to pay for it. And may be different for someone else. I think the problem here is that the way you worded your post may have come off as different than what you are trying to say. I myself bought a couple of fish at the last ACE auction that I would have gone twice what I actualy paid for them if I had to.

"disparage the CAS auction"
disparge the cas? gimme a break! i NEVER DID, AND NEVER WOULD, talk ill about ANY aquarium organization OR its volinteers, EVER! all i said was i thought it to be a rather fruitless auction, THATS ALL!! geezz!!!.... -01-

I didn't say you were disparaging the CAS. You have made it quite clear that your comment was a complaint about the CAS AUCTION and not the organization or its' volunteers. I'm not taking your comments out of context. I'm simply stating that your critique of the CAS auction is invalid if it is based soley on your displeasure with the items up for sale. I would encourage alberta hobbyists to attend both auctions as they each have something to offer their communities.

This has gone in a different direction than I intended the thread to take when I started it. Can we just assume that rocker did not have the same positive experience that most of us had? I really enjoyed myself, and I will attend an ACE auction if I ever get the chance.

I also found that there were less of certain things I was hoping for, but I scored some amazing stuff that I'm REALLY happy with. Just next time could everyone bring their AC filters along to auction off? I need some spare parts. LOL

Just to show you what a procrastinator I am, I JUST today got all my plants relocated to the tanks I wanted them in. Most of them inhabited my 5g hex that I bought all week. hehehe My 33g is looking VERY nice. Hubby even said so... and it STILL doesn't have a sunken ship in it. The vals and the fine bottomcover stuff that I got (and forgot the name of AND misplaced the bag) really add to the tank, and it all inspired me to clean things up in there.