Cheapest NLS to Edmonton

I've been trying to find the cheapest source for NLS Cichlid either locally or online. I've noticed that in the USA it's around $45-$50 for a 5 lb bucket, but locally it can be around $90-$100. Does anyone know how to get it for $60-$70?

I'm likely going to Vancouver at the end of the month, and if I can't find it locally, should I hop across the border for a better deal? Does anyone know aquarium stores in northern Washington? I couldn't find retail location for Big Al's online.

Can anyone help with suggestions?

Thanks

Its hard if not impossible for local stores to compete with online pricing, especially from the US. My business deals with this problem. Canada is just to small of a market.

And think of the extra cost you are adding by getting it shipped or by going down to the US to pick it up. A couple hour drive to save $20 doesn't really make sense to me, even if you look at you time only costing $10/hour (fairly modest wage in this Provence) plus gas. I'm sure most of us one here make 5-15x that.

I dont mean to brow beat you, I'm a cheap guy and like to get a deal too, but often once you build a relationship with the local vendors and they see you do a fair bit of business they cut you a bit of a deal.

"And think of the extra cost you are adding by getting it shipped or by going down to the US to pick it up. A couple hour drive to save $20 doesn't really make sense to me, even if you look at you time only costing $10/hour (fairly modest wage in this Provence) plus gas. I'm sure most of us one here make 5-15x that."

Are they hiring where you work? I'm in !

You're very correct. By the time you pay S&H, you really haven't saved much. Besides you'll miss out on seeing what's new in , good conversation, ADVICE from EXPERTS, just to mention a few benefits of being a regular customer. These benefits alone are worth way more than a couple dollars saved.

Edited by Qattarra

I want a job there too! I agree, though... driving to the states won't recover your costs unless you plan on coming back with dozens of buckets of it. There are some things I would buy cross border if I was going anyhow, but for most things fishy, I like to support my local stores and know that they'll be here for me if I need them. :)

I've been trying to find the cheapest source for NLS Cichlid either locally or online. I've noticed that in the USA it's around $45-$50 for a 5 lb bucket, but locally it can be around $90-$100. Does anyone know how to get it for $60-$70?

I'm likely going to Vancouver at the end of the month, and if I can't find it locally, should I hop across the border for a better deal? Does anyone know aquarium stores in northern Washington? I couldn't find retail location for Big Al's online.

Can anyone help with suggestions?

Thanks

Go to one of the sponser stores and buy some other goods from them and they will likely give you a deal on the NLS....

Most of the sponsers will give you a discount if you mention you are a member of AA....

I absolutely agree with all the responses. I just figured that $45 in the US to $90 in Canada was a big difference. Since I was thinking about going to the US anyways, it wasn't going to be the only reason to cross the border, so it isn't really driving a couple hours to save a few bucks.

I also agree with supporting local businesses, but at a 100% markup, I thought that other's must be purchasing it elsewhere. Looks like I'll wait for a sale, unless someone else has a better idea. I've seen some 25% off in the forums (I wasn't aware of these discounts and sales when I originally posted).

Just a FYI - most of the online vendors in the USA charge $50 per pail, plus shipping. Unless you are ordering a number of items to offset the shipping costs, you'll be looking at approx $70-75 CAD by the time you factor in taxes etc.. So the mark up is not 100% between the USA & Canada, even if you purchase your goods online.

Also, most LFS in the USA that carry NLS, charge $65-75 per pail, some even higher. So even if you hit a LFS in the USA that carries it in the 5lb pails, chances are you won't be in for any big savings. Then there's the little problem of dealing with some online vendors that buy in bulk, but take forever & a day to move their inventory. I know of one online vendor that is still attempting to move product that he purchased over 2 YEARS ago. Not cool.

On the other hand, if you purchase locally, I can personally guarantee that the food will be fresh.

As an example, I have an order heading to Henry tomorrow, which contains 5lb buckets that just landed here last week.

2 weeks, or 2 years? Your fish, your money, your call.