Need to build new lighting

Joseph Elliott

I want to have a open top tank and I'm thinking about using a 4 foot dual light strip with a really good reflector. The local hardware stores can't provide me with what I need so I'll have to pick something up the next time I'm in Edmonton. Anyone know of a good place to get specialty lighting?

You can check out All Seasons Garden Centre - they're on 81ave just W of 100st. They have all kinds of lighting options, and 1/2 decent prices, too.

oops, posted in wrong thread

Edited by Finbert

You can check out All Seasons Garden Centre - they're on 81ave just W of 100st. They have all kinds of lighting options, and 1/2 decent prices, too.

Is that the hydroponics store jason?

Yep, it's the hydroponics store that I get my ferts from. And, I've picked up some of their T5s as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that some stores will carry the HOT5 ballisters (hope im saying these right), and what I would suggest doing with them if you can, is try mounting hooks in your ceiling and running small chains from them and attach them to your light fixture. This way you will have them hanging above your tank, and as far as I know the HOT5's ballisters will fit any sized bulb. We saw them at pisces in calgary here, and they looked like a really good idea, they wanted about $60 for the ballister kit and then about $20+ for each bulb depending on what size you get.

PS: my memory is kinda bad, so they might also be called HTO5, can't quite remember.

• 1 month later...

I bought a dual tube light strip for my 72 Galon (4 feet) from Home Depot. It is a shop light designed to hang from the ceiling, plastic, but then has a 'chrome' finish. I have two T-8 plant and garden bulbs in it (also from HD) I forget the actual cost, but it was pretty reasonable in my mind. ($30 - ish???)