Rule of Thumb?

Dalray

Thinking it is about 1 inch per gal.

There are a few but common sense guides you best.

1 inch of fish per gallon of water......not a good idea if you deal with fish bigger than guppies or neons.

1 dovii in a 50 gal. tank would seem understocked by that rule but due to it's aggression would you put anything else in with it?

I realize you weren't looking for a speech, not intended as one, just don't want you to go ahead with the idea of the "rules". You're better of asking "how much room should I give a -----?" Keeping in mind hiding places also.

There are a few but common sense guides you best.

1 inch of fish per gallon of water......not a good idea if you deal with fish bigger than guppies or neons.

1 dovii in a 50 gal. tank would seem understocked by that rule but due to it's aggression would you put anything else in with it?

I realize you weren't looking for a speech, not intended as one, just don't want you to go ahead with the idea of the "rules". You're better of asking "how much room should I give a -----?" Keeping in mind hiding places also.

speeches are alright lol

i was just curious because i have a 38 gal with 4 electric yellows, 2 red empress 1 blue peacock, 3 blue mbunas and 2 orange fish lol. seems like there is alot of room there.

Depends on the number of species too, I find. A given tank with 8 of the same might do just fine, but the same tank with the same number of fish at the same length of fish BUT - say eight different species, might be too small due to aggression.

Are they full grown? The mbunas may show some aggression. If you have more than enough hiding places, for now you may be OK . If you have fish that are always hiding, any that cower up in the corner and maybe frayed fins, it'll be too crowded. You might want to consider a second tank and split them up, you are a bit crowded for these species.