Diatom filter

Ruadh

I've got a problem with my 175 gl tank that may require a diatom filter to fix.

I'd like your recommendations on what I should get.

I don't know anything about them, I thought I could get a 'cartridge' to put inside the canister, but I guess not.

Thankx

Rick

What kind of problems do you have ? There might be different solutions, I very seldom use my diatom filter, it wasn't a very useful purchase for the price

my experience with vortex xl diatom filter.

it will clog quick if left as a primary filter or used in obscene situations.

i use mine only to give my tank the odd 'wax' after waterchanges.(it does work great!!!)

the first run and charge/discharge of de will probably seem tricky. you will get wet. (you'll get the hang of it after the first couple uses.)

always discharge before storing away lol

the de can get expensive. i just bought a larger box of the 'official de' but have read of others going to pool/spa shops for de. some kinds may be harmful through those sources though.

and no huffing the de. really bad for the lungs!!

yep tricky to justify getting one considering the cost. mine was xmas gift! huzzah

What kind of problems do you have ? There might be different solutions, I very seldom use my diatom filter, it wasn't a very useful purchase for the price

Thankx everyone for your replies.

The water in my tank keeps going 'milky'.

I thought at first it was algae, but after talking to a fella at BA's, I think I might have been changing the water too much and too ofter.

The filter pipes probably need to be cleaned as well.

It looks like it is a bacteria bloom. I probably "un-cycled" the tank and it needs to cycle all over again.

Thankx again

Rick

What kind of filters are you running on the tank now? I sometimes get cloudy water after a heavy water change ( I use untreated well water) but it always clears up by the next day. You might be better off in the long run by adding another filter, such as an xp4 where you can add polishing pads or possibly adding a uv sterilizer if something is blooming in there

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

what has worked for me for years is to grab a power head and install a polishing filter pad in it. Works wonders, and it's cheap, only a few bucks for the filter it self. Even if you dont have a power head you could easily get one cheap or cheaper than a diatom filter for instance. I keep mine running constantly in my sump and change the filter about once every 3 weeks or so.

Thank You