Sick Rubecens

Fishy

I have a breeding group of 4 of these and noticed today the male had stopped eating and was sitting at the bottom gasping. I thought this might be a sign of bloat or a possible parasite which I know cichlids carry. Also noticed the females had white long stringy fecal. Did some research on what I observed and then quarantined all 4 into a 10g and treated them with Metronidazole. Hopefully Im not to late as I know with anything internal, once the damage is done its very hard for them to recover.

My water parameters are perfect, there food consists of spirilina flake and Hikari cichlid pellets only. So im not sure what brought this on. Might be stress when I added the clown loaches but im not sure.

I also turned the temp. up a little in the 10g to 82. Lights are off, and just a sponge filter going. I will dose them daily with a 50% water change done after first dose.

Any other suggestions?

Edited by Fishy

From the sounds of things, skip the Met treatment & go straight to Clout.

In an 'aquarium' environment, Metronidazole will precipitate out of solution within 6-8 hours, so in order to keep the Met solution at an effective level, you need to perform a 25-30% water change every 6-8 hours, and add another 250-500 mg of Met per 10 gallons of water. (treat the entire tank, not just the water you replaced during the water change)

Well I don't have any clout on hand and I may not get any till the weekend as I have a very busy schedule this week. On day 2 for treatment with metro, the females fecal is now brown in color, the male is still sitting at the bottom and gasping but not as much it seems as before.

If I don't see any real results by friday for the male, I will use clout next.

Edited by Fishy

• 3 weeks later...

thx for the link neil. I got some from my parents to hold me for now. I should have ordered some with my large order from pet solutions last month, as it is cheaper from them because I did a large order with someone else and combined shipping.

Edited by Fishy