Your L.F.S....

I'm sure you've all got your beefs... here's mine! After much research I've found out fish are not covered by the local animal cruelty laws. This is bull$#@!. Without naming names, 1 of our L.F.S's is NOT doing there job. Only 25 tanks, dead fish everywhere! Stuck to the filters, Betta's 2 dead in the cups!( Bettas don't like to live in CUPS!) These fish have been dead for along time... Mold growing on them. Out of 25 tanks, 5 not for sale due to heath issues. Ich, hole in the head, etc... After a confrontation the manager told me that due to a labour shortage, she dose not have the time to take care of the fish... TOO BAD!!!! if you can't take care of them, DON'T. Illness is a fact of life, neglect on the other hand. Well thats just wrong. When i reported this to the store owner, I received a 25 percent discount. Can you say PAY OFF! I turned it down and told her, use that money to take care of your fish! A life is a life... You can sell these fish @ a 500 percent mark up, you could at least take care of them... I'm sure you've seen worse, but that's mty beef!

At least we love our fish!!! ;) Shay.

How can someone say they can't look after 25 tanks when our own Nick Spinelli (sam chicklets) tanks care of way more than that, has a full time job and finds the time to help people like me take care of our fish?

How can someone say they can't look after 25 tanks when our own Nick Spinelli (sam chicklets) tanks care of way more than that, has a full time job and finds the time to help people like me take care of our fish?

Totally!!! :thumbs:

It's all a matter of commitment and love of animals. I am having a difficult time keeping up to the 36 tanks I have running so I will be cutting back a lot as it is not fair to the fish.

It's all a matter of commitment and love of animals. I am having a difficult time keeping up to the 36 tanks I have running so I will be cutting back a lot as it is not fair to the fish.

Agreed, Now only if they thought of it that way! Instead of $$$$$$$$$$! TY Sam, 1 day they'll seee it our way, lol.... :)

Take Care, shay.

• 3 weeks later...

To the starter of this thread: that was probably the same big box pet store i went into a couple weeks ago. me: "boy your goldfish don't look good". employee: "yeah, i don't know what happened to them". ARGH! and even i, who has only kept fish for half a year, could see it was obvious dropsy and some type of fungus. worst part of it was that i couldn't see any evidence of the tank being medicated.

another well known LFS i went to on the southside had two tanks (that i saw, maybe more?) with ich. i actually had to inform the employees about it. one of these tanks was baby albino bristlenoses, one at the front was so infested it was twitching. so sad.

on a happier note, the pet shop i deal with regularily always has healthy fish, clean tanks, knowledgable employees (the full time ones, anyway), and i have bought all of my fish from there with no problems at all (knock on wood).

I refuse to buy fish at any of the big box stores due to the lack of knowledgable employees. i once overheard one of these employees trying to sell a common pleco to somebody that said their tank was 20 gal. ARGH!

To the starter of this thread: that was probably the same big box pet store i went into a couple weeks ago. me: "boy your goldfish don't look good". employee: "yeah, i don't know what happened to them". ARGH! and even i, who has only kept fish for half a year, could see it was obvious dropsy and some type of fungus. worst part of it was that i couldn't see any evidence of the tank being medicated.

another well known LFS i went to on the southside had two tanks (that i saw, maybe more?) with ich. i actually had to inform the employees about it. one of these tanks was baby albino bristlenoses, one at the front was so infested it was twitching. so sad.

on a happier note, the pet shop i deal with regularily always has healthy fish, clean tanks, knowledgable employees (the full time ones, anyway), and i have bought all of my fish from there with no problems at all (knock on wood).

I refuse to buy fish at any of the big box stores due to the lack of knowledgable employees. i once overheard one of these employees trying to sell a common pleco to somebody that said their tank was 20 gal. ARGH!

my rule of thumb with fish stores is to go to the owner/operated most of the time, but will check in the fish section of the big box stores when I'm there picking up something for the dogs. If I have a question at the big box stores I usually find the youngest person in the fish section as my theory (and experience) is that they love fish and read up a lot about them. They tend to know more than the older teenagers or adults who are just there for a job (or so it seems).

i go to Aquarium Illusions Inc. here in edmonton. theyre trustworthy ppl considering i asked them to quarantine a sailfin tang for me for a couple weeks when i was going to purchase it and they did. the guys still live to this day for almost 7 years now. so i say that i can trust this LFS and not some petcetera or pj's. but thats my beef so ill stop. later.

i go to Aquarium Illusions Inc. here in edmonton. theyre trustworthy ppl considering i asked them to quarantine a sailfin tang for me for a couple weeks when i was going to purchase it and they did. the guys still live to this day for almost 7 years now. so i say that i can trust this LFS and not some petcetera or pj's. but thats my beef so ill stop. later.

If the fish that you buy is healthy to begin with it will live for the life expectancy of the fish. I have been to some "good" stores that have gotten in crappy fish and "bad" stores that have gotten great fish. I will shop at all pet stores if I don't like what I see I won't buy it.

Collector you could offer to help the store owner for an afternoon and try to fix up the tanks, volinteering is good for the soul and remember your not doing it for her your doing it for the fish...LOL