Installing flourescent inside wooden canopy.. help?

PintoHawk

If you've got one near you, try a hydroponics shop (or go online). My wife picked up two high-output (HO) T5 light strips for considerably less than an equivalent aquarium fixture.

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=18485

The fixtures are small & slimline, the bulbs are replaceable, and the manufacturer even produces a 10K bulb. The one negative is that the smallest fixture available is 24" long.

Additional bonus: The fixtures came from a Canadian company, SunBlaster Lighting.

As to protecting them from water, why not just install a glass panel at the bottom of your wooden canopy, between the bulbs and the water? You could even make it removable, if desired, by cutting sliding grooves into the edges of the canopy to hold the glass in place.

Edited by FrogFan23

It has only 2 prongs... why? Is this bad for the tank/electrical shock?
2 prongs means its not grounded. if it falls in the tank, unlikely, but never say never, it wil turn your tank into a small powerplant/shockhazard. just put it on a gfci powerbar and you should be ok.

The easiest way to go about doing what you want is to find an old 10gal/20gal, etc. INCANDESCENT hood, canibalize it, and use the screw-in flourescent bulbs. They come in different colors and wattages - you can get up to 40W bulbs!!

The easiest way to go about doing what you want is to find an old 10gal/20gal, etc. INCANDESCENT hood, canibalize it, and use the screw-in flourescent bulbs. They come in different colors and wattages - you can get up to 40W bulbs!!

I agree. I've done this myself. However, most incandescent fixtures will only accept up to 25W bulbs ...

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the link, Werner, but those kits are shipped from the states, it looks like $50 for the kit I would need plus $25 shipping. Should arrive in a month, which is a long time. I will keep looking in Alberta/Canada for an available kit. Good link, though, at least I know this type of product IS out there somewhere. ;)

you can always go to an electrical supplyer and get the tubes that go over the lights so they are water tight then