Giant ulcers wtf?

RDFISHGUY

What the heck is this weird disease and how do I get rid of it.

weirddisease034.jpg

I've tried salt, melafix,jungle meds parasite clear, and some kind of antibacterial med but nothing has worked so far. Tonight I gave him salt dip. Any help would be great. I haven't seen this one before.

If it was an injury it would've healed weeks ago this is not your average bite wound. Its more like fishy flesh eating disease. Moori and venustus are also infected ,though not as bad.

Have you tried applying a med directly? I would have no clue as to what it is or if it's the same as what my uaru had. For him I gently took him out and applied melafix with a Qtip. I repeated about every 4 hours for the entire day. I also kept him in a highly oxygenated warm 20 gal. tank with salt treatment. In my case it did heal up and I put him back a week later. Good luck.

Those meds you listed seem kind of weak for that sort of open wound. I had a koi with an ulcer before and nothing worked until I dosed the hospital tank with Nox-ich. The copper treatment started him healing right away where nothing else had worked. I would recommend either Seachem Para-Guard if you're treating the main tank and Nox-Ich if you can hospitalize these guys in another tank. Multiple daily water changes and close supervision are a must if you use this method of treatment.

Thanks for the helpful hints. I think I've narrowed it down to costia infestation and I am treating it with parasite clear at a higher dose than recommended. If that doesn't do the job I'll try the nox-ich. I already tried melafix and it didn't work applied to the water so I don't think it'll work any better applied directly and that doesn't treat the tank just the individuals with the symptoms. I'll keep you posted.

Along with the medicating of the water you could also try adding garlic guard to their meals, might just give the immune systems a boost.

Sorry that I missed this thread until today, I could have saved you some money, and time.

Most topical applications net poor results, but cleaning the area with hydrogen peroxide, and then applying

iodine is one of the most effective (and cheapest) topical treatments for open ulcers. (but this is a 1 time only treatment) The most effective means of treating open ulcers is via injectable meds, and sometimes even that doesn't work if the fish is too far gone.

A couple of good reads on this subject:

http://www.afbini.gov.uk/adds-fishulcerdiseasedec05.pdf

http://www.koivet.com/html/coolstuff/lette...hp?letter_id=20

I second the recommendation of treating the main tank with Seachem Para-Guard, an all around great

med that treats a wide range of nasties, including parasites, bacteria, fungus, and viral diseases. In my experience it's

also a fairly safe med when used as directed, and it does not effect the bio bacteria in ones filters.

I read some information here regarding the use of potassium permangenate. Not a parasite but a aeromonas bacteria. Check out SRAC 478.Try this:

http://srac.tamu.edu/index.cfm?catid=26

Edited by RDFISHGUY

Thanks for the helpful hints. I think I've narrowed it down to costia infestation and I am treating it with parasite clear at a higher dose than recommended. If that doesn't do the job I'll try the nox-ich. I already tried melafix and it didn't work applied to the water so I don't think it'll work any better applied directly and that doesn't treat the tank just the individuals with the symptoms. I'll keep you posted.

I had Koi with costia infection, confirmed with microscope exam. I had to use Rid Ich at 1.5 x recommended dose to get response. Costia usually results in + + slime coat.