Giant ulcers wtf?

RDFISHGUY

I'm sad to say this had a very ugly ending. After a month of trying to save these fish I lost almost the entire stock. The only fish that made it through are : the kiwinge , 4 msobo, lateristriga, venustus and yellow labs. They are now in a 20 gallon until things get righted in the 230. I tested the water after they died and ammonia/nitrate/nitrite all were 0 ppm. I thought that was weird so I got another test kit from RD and retested and readings were still the same. The problem had to be poisoning right? At least I thought so. In order to remove it I thought I'd better clean out the filters. What a surprise I found in there-- SNAILS! Hundreds and hundreds of them. If I had co2 test kit it would probably be off the charts. Here are some pics:

snails-1.jpg

snails-3.jpg

snails-6.jpg

snails-7.jpg

The problem was they took over the filter causing the good bacteria to be lost and using all the available oxygen. All of my other tanks are fine as they have either loaches or puffers thus ,no snails. This is the most bizarre thing I've ever run into. The ulcers are just a symptom the real problem is the snails. I bleached the filters and treated the main tank with coppersafe at 1 1/2 times the recommended dosage. Hopefully this will eliminate the problem. Once the bacteria re-establish themselves I plan on moving my 120 set up into the 230. This way if any snails are left the clown loaches can eat them.