My indoor pond

gobies et al

My indoor pond started as an over-wintering pond for my Koi. When they were at 22-24 inch size (3 years coming into their 4 th year) I sold them as they were getting more difficult to move from outdoor to indoor and back again.

The pond is 300 gallons with bog filtration at one end. The prefilter is near the end away from the bog. I added a Fluval 404 to increase the surface movement improving the aeration. The system could handle 3 Koi 22-24 in. each, 1 15 in., 2 pleco 9 in. each, and an assortment of rosy barbs and rainbowfish. The Koi were growing well at ~ 1 inch per month.

Presently, it is housing numerous rosy barbs, rainbowfish, rosy red minnows, common plecos, ancistrus, yoyo loaches, dojo loaches, pineapple swordtails, gouramies, Spotted Rafael, Hero notatus, and Blue Acara juvies.

post-3205-1208623429_thumb.jpg

Edited by gobies et al

• 2 weeks later...
That is amazing. What kind of plants are you keeping and how is the bog system setup? Alsodid you use a pond liner?

I am mainly using fast growing plants - Paradise Lily, Sword plant (?), Golden Pothos around the edge - inside the pond Anubias barteri - also in the bog Paradise Lily and Java Fern.

I used pond liner inside a 300 gallon metal stock tank. Even new it would leak at some seams even though they were welded.

The bog is constructed of 2x8 boards, lined with pond liner. PVC pipe goes from the pump in the pond (prefilter used) to the bottom of the bog. The down pipe connects on at 90 degree angle to a U shaped piping that has holes drilled in to the underside and ends capped. There is about 12 inches of washed crushed gravel (from Burnco) over the piping then about another 6 inches of sand over that (Play sand from Home Depot). I don't have a back flow prevention valve on, so I have the sand level about 2 inches below the usual height of water in the pond. There is 2 outlets from the bog to overflow into the pond. For that we used something from boating supplies for the bilge pumps to make a tight seal and some plastic tubing for actually getting into pond without too much splash.

PM me if you would like more specific information. We also used this system for 800 gallon outdoor pond. Worked great! No green water! I could look out a window and see my fish from 20 feet away.

Is that a bathtub??

It was a metal stock tank from Peavey Mart, a farm store here in Red Deer. I put a top around the edges to spruce it up a bit and to create a ledge over the inside edge. In 3 years, I have only had 1 Rainbowfish jump out.

• 2 months later...