Tropheus - two groups

punman

My initial thought was to do a group of 20 tropheus in my 90 gallon tank and then, if I love it and am successful, free up my 180 gallon, move them from the 90, and add a second compatible group of 20 six months down the road.

Now I am wondering if I should just go for the 180 gallon now with two groups if I can find and afford two at the moment.

Any pros and cons to my dilemma?

What do you think of my numbers (assuming I am starting with 1.5 to 2 inch fish)?

I have had frontosas in the past and now have cyps and featherfins so I am confident in my ability to make this work but don't want to rush into it too much either.

Well there is the one con that jumps out at me---Hybrids

Wondering about that too but someone said that if you pick from amongst the 4 or 5 major groups and don't duplicate (like not 2 duboisi) the chances are less for hybrids. But this is why I want to research it first.

Depending on the variants that you choose, it can & has been done by many people. No different than keeping yellow labs with demasoni. If I was in your shoes, I would get the two groups at the same time, and start them all off as small juvies in the 180 so that a hierarchy can be established before they become large enough to cause serious damage to each other.

I agree Dwayne - get as large a group at one time of one or two species of the same size. It is hard to find a big enough colony when you decide to add on. I would do two species in the 180. A 90 is a large tank for 20 juveniles.

• 2 months later...

It has been seven weeks since I got my 30 Tropheus Kirizas. (Spencer Jack - Winnipeg). They were 1.25 to two inches and are now just under two inches to almost three inches. I have not lost any so far and all seem happy. I have them in my 180 gallon tank with eight cyprichromis males. I just thought I would share a couple of pictures. Two males have staked out rock piles and they "shimmy" with a few of their friends. I am wondering about switching to a mid blue background instead of the black. What do you think?

dsc6166td6.jpg

dsc6149nb0.jpg

I actually like the Black background but I am a very big fan of black backgrounds all together! I feel that it brings out the fish colors allot nicer. Anyways I love the look of your tank. The fish look great! Can't wait to hear when they start breeding for you......Good luck.

Very nice :) I know that getting 2 groups of duboisi you would probably have problems with cross breeding, but if you were to get a group of moorii in there with duboisi it should do ok. You will want to get ones of similar size though to the ones you already have. As long as you get them in large groups I am sure they will do ok. Nothing wrong with trying something new out :) For the black background the only problem I see is that the duboisi blend in with it pretty good, only because they have mainly black bodies. But otherwise I love all black backgrounds.