To Sump or Not To Sump?

Doc_Polit

Do many of you use wet/dry sumps on your set-up?

I am trying to decide whether to go sump or canister filtration on my next tank.

Both have pros and cons so I thought I'd solicit your input.

I'm looking to go 90 gallons minimum. I'd like to make DIY styrofoam background, but that could prove to be a real bugger with canisters.

Any suggestions?

The Doc B)

Hands down, sump is the way to go. Actually for fresh water it's a sump wet/dry you want. Water enters at the top of the sump tank, falls through a bio-ball chamber, drops to the bottom of the tank, is pulled over a couple of baffles, ends up in the last chamber, where it's returned to the tank.

It takes a bit more work to set up, but it's been the most rewarding thing I've done yet in this hobby. I have a 50g sump on a 180 tank...it's been crystal clear since day one, and the water is perfect. The great thing is more water in the system...the 180 actually ends up with about 210 gallons being filtered...more water means less fluctuation in parameters.

I would definately recommend a wet/dry for any aquarium over 75g.

Ey, good point! I keep forgetting you can diy one of them. Im not 100% sure those work, so I've just perferred my glass internal overflow on my 150, and my 90gallon just has a AC300/Fluval404 on it, so there is no point in trying to put more on there.

If you do an external overflow, I'd agree with anything over about 75gallons.