Frantic Koi

Ishkabod

You should not buy another fish, the tank you have is to small of an area for the fish you already have in it.

It is probably still getting used to it's new home, it's like living in a closet your whole life then suddenly having the whole house, you'd be a little timid too. You should cover at least the back even a side or two so your fish has somewhere to hide and doesn't feel suddenly so exposed. This will help to make the fish feel more secure and comfortable in it's new environment. Covering part of the tank and adding decorations (hidey holes, lots of plants etc) will help. You've plucked your fish out of an environment where it feels safe and secure and put it into a huge area where it does not, even though this is good for the fish it will take a while to adjust.

You really should return the koi and get something more suitable to a 15 gallon tank, Platies for example, look quite a bit like goldfish and you could keep around 4 or 5 of them in there. The store might let you make a trade, call them and ask.

He's now in my new 30 gallon tank. I will be upgradeing to a much larger tank or a pond in the future but i'll need to save first. Right now he's only 3 inches long and i know he'll get bigger fast but in that time i'm sure i'll have enough for a larger tank. Right now he has ten gallons per inch and the recommeded amount per inch is two gallons so i think i'm doing pretty good here.

I will be getting another fish and probably another Koi. I'm staying on the side of caution but right now he seems to need a friend more than anything and i've been told not to put another goldfish in with him. He had and still has lots of areas for cover if he wants but he sticks to the very front of the tank most of the time. I did put some fake plants i had in to give him some shelter like someone before you suggested but he never even went near it. He seems fine and even with the 2 moves nessasary to get him into the larger tank he's fine. I kept everything from the last tank in relatively the same spots as before so i think he hasn't had any problems adjusting.

Even if i could still return hin/her I won't because i really really really like him/her and the idea of haveing my own Koi is right up my ally of intrest which is Japanese culture. If you have ever seen a pond of Koi they seem to be happy when in a crowded pond. I think my best bet is to buy another Koi when this one reaches a bit larger size and then see what happens. I think he'll be happier.

I have done my research and i know he'll be fine for a year in this tank. Based on his size when i bought him and the date I figure him to be born in the same month as me so he'll share my birthday, and for a birthday present he'll get a LARGE tank and a buddy maybe. Anyway it's all okay and he has calmed down considerably. He loves to swim back and forth across the front of the tank and in the longer tank he seems to be enjoying the extra space. All in all i'm glad i kept him and was able to get him a proper home. Thanks to everyone here for their advice.

Thanks

L

Make sure you have adequate filtration. Those big crowded ponds do have good filtration. Use some plants that grows fast. I used to put one of those vine-type terrestrial plant. Just put the roots in the water and let the plant grow on top of the tank.

Of course, try to get him a bigger tank before getting any more koi. I am sure he will be fine by himself and not feel "lonely."

Jonah

Now all you have to do is get him trained to eat from your hand.

Done that already. :thumbs: The feeding ring helps imencely. But with my long nails and him still eating very small pellets the best i can do is put food in the feeding ring and stick my fingers in the middle. It feels funny when he nibbles on my fingers. B) :heart: Lots of fun too. He did it immediately the first time i put my fingers in there. It has to be the feeding ring.

The next thing i will be doing is saving for an extra extra large filter that will be good enough for when Kuchi gets really really big and has a really really big friend. I finally got another measurement on him and he's about 3.5inches now so Kuchi is growing at a rate of about a half inch per week. He'll be four inces next week and five inches by the end of the month at this rate :D It at least means Kuchi is healthy.

The thing that worries me right now is that the 15gallon tank was going through the nitrogen cycle when i decided i couldn't stand seeing Kuchi have only enough tank length for a very very short burst of speed before he hits the other end of the tank. The water has stayed at 1ppm of ammonia and between .25ppm of Nitrite. When i moved Kuchi i had the thirty gallon at about 60% and then i gradually added completely filterd water(no ammonia or nitrites or anything else) till it was full and tested again with the same results. I tested again this morning Hours later and the amounts are still the same. Is this normal or should i see some kind of indication of fluctuation??

Thanks again

L :unsure:

Might be an odd question, but are you planning on doing a pond anytime soon? With a max size of about 1 m, and rather rapid growth to 20-24" (often under 2 years), your koi is going to outgrow all but the largest of tanks in no time. Check out a lot of the koi sites where they've got single fish listed for sale - I've seen 2 year old fish from 14-24".

I don't think you tank is cycled. See if you can get some old filter floss or sponge from fellow fishkeepers and get those numbers to zero. OR it might be that the filter you are using cannot keep up with the waste the fish is producing.

What is your current filter?

Js

African_Fever

I'm looking at pond options and prices and it seems it will be a few years if ever that i'll be getting a pond(depends on my mother who is my landlord)

I plan to buy the longest and largest tank he'll ever need by my and Kuchis' birthday next Feb. A pond is what i ideally want but it might not be an option.

I have met a few expert koi keepers that overwinter their full grown Koi indoors in a tank and others who leave them outside in a deep pond. An extremely large tank looks like a viable option right now so a pond will be considered a luxury till i can afford one in a few years.

fatpuffer

I don't personally know anyone who keeps fish so the sponge shareing option is out for now. I know my tank is supposed to be cycling but I'm a little unsure of what is really going on especially since my levels have remained constant even with the water added and the time elapsed. I'll do another test tonight and check to see if anything has changed in the last six hours. I just hope the constantly present ammonia and nitrite isn't harming Kuchi.

I have 2 filters running One is a Whisper and it says on the spill lip 10-30i and came with my 15gal tank I put a sponge in the bottom to catch gunk and filled the rest with ceramic thingies in a net instead of the filter you buy (and replace) at the store and the other is a Elite Stingray for a 10 gallon tank. Between the two i'm sure i'll get adaquite filtration. I plan to buy a HUGE filter in the next few weeks so it's only temporary. The elite has been running for 2 weeks now and the whisper for about a week.

Other than those two filters i have also put a 10 gallon elite air pump attatched to an Aqua giant bendy bubble curtain and three plants. The one type was growing about an inch to 2 inches a day in the 15 gallon and hasn't grown more than half an inch so far in this one.

Thanks again

L :)

I don't mean to ruffle any feathers or anything, but I don't know if I'd consider anyone who brings their koi in for the winter an 'expert' koi keeper - I don't know of anyone who's got a large enough tank to keep 1 m long koi for the winter in. I know a lot of people when they're first starting out with ponds will bring their koi indoors into 260 gallon+ tanks, but after doing this once or twice most I know find it's too much work and the fish grow too large too quickly to continue doing it, and overwinter their koi in the pond. There is always the option of an indoor 'pond' - you can pick up 300 gallon rubbermaid tubs at most farm supply stores for around $300.

Try to get an AC500. I bought a used one for 20 dollars. I do not think that the filtration will be adequate as the fish gets bigger (just my opinion...pls. don't take offense). I guess it will depend on how often you feed as well. I just hate cycling a tank with fish as it is not the greatest for the fish to be in ammonia/nitrIted filled water.

Anybody in E-town can spare some old filter floss to speed up the cycle?

Js

I don't mean to ruffle any feathers or anything, but I don't know if I'd consider anyone who brings their koi in for the winter an 'expert' koi keeper - I don't know of anyone who's got a large enough tank to keep 1 m long koi for the winter in. I know a lot of people when they're first starting out with ponds will bring their koi indoors into 260 gallon+ tanks, but after doing this once or twice most I know find it's too much work and the fish grow too large too quickly to continue doing it, and overwinter their koi in the pond. There is always the option of an indoor 'pond' - you can pick up 300 gallon rubbermaid tubs at most farm supply stores for around $300.

First the person who has to move her Koi doesn't have a pond deep enough for overwintering as she mentioned that was the reason so she knows what she's talking about. I don't know the size of Koi she has but she has had them for a few years so they might not be to big yet to cause a hassle.

Thanks so much for the info on the Rubbermaid Tubs I think this is a much better idea then a HUGe expensive tank. I'm aiming for a pond outside eventually and when i do it'll be deep enough for the Koi to overwinter.

Thanks so much I had no idea about the Rubbermaid Containers.

Have a great Weekend

L

Try to get an AC500. I bought a used one for 20 dollars. I do not think that the filtration will be adequate as the fish gets bigger (just my opinion...pls. don't take offense). I guess it will depend on how often you feed as well. I just hate cycling a tank with fish as it is not the greatest for the fish to be in ammonia/nitrIted filled water.

Anybody in E-town can spare some old filter floss to speed up the cycle?

Js

Thanks for the Filter advice I'll be monitoring the tank water quality like i should and if the filters i have become inadaquite before i replace them i'll be getting another cheep filter to beef up my current system till i can get a huge one. BTW before i do is the the AC1500 good enough for a 300gal rubbermaid container?? This is still all new to me so i'm not sure what filters do what. Thanks so much once again for all your expert advice. :bow: I hope to learn everything i can so i can in turn help someone else.

A tidbit about me :mad: This is what happens when i watch the news so i avoid it like the plague. ^_^

Best filter for the money right now I'd think for a 300 gallon rubbermaid tub and a couple koi would be an FX5 - there are a couple places around Calgary where you can usually find them in stock for $250-300. You could do up your own sump type filter for the tub, and there are a ton out there if you search around the koi forums, but this would be more work (though could end up cheaper).

Good luck.

Best filter for the money right now I'd think for a 300 gallon rubbermaid tub and a couple koi would be an FX5 - there are a couple places around Calgary where you can usually find them in stock for $250-300. You could do up your own sump type filter for the tub, and there are a ton out there if you search around the koi forums, but this would be more work (though could end up cheaper).

Good luck.

Thanks For the info. I had no idea what i should get and now i do.

Thanks again

L