LFS

I went into a LFS (chain store) and walked up to a tank with 4 catfish in it, I had an idea of what they were so I asked the girl that was working the dept. I asked what type of catfish these were, employee- I don't know I just started here and know nothing about fish except they need water and swim i'll ask, She went and asked the other girl who came over and said I think they are some kind of pleco but they look sick and skinny, I asked how much they were and she replied I think they're 4.99ea but i don't know if i should sell them to you. I replied I'll take my chances. Turns out my guess was right, I now have 4 Sturisoma panamanse, Royal farlowella catfish about 4" total length at what I thought was an awsome deal, Also pretty sure I have 2 boys and 2 girls. I even bought the 4 lyretail black mollies that were in the same tank for 1.99ea.

I know some may think I took advantage of the employee and the store, But they should have enough nowledge to know what they are selling.

I went into a LFS (chain store) and walked up to a tank with 4 catfish in it, I had an idea of what they were so I asked the girl that was working the dept. I asked what type of catfish these were, employee- I don't know I just started here and know nothing about fish except they need water and swim i'll ask, She went and asked the other girl who came over and said I think they are some kind of pleco but they look sick and skinny, I asked how much they were and she replied I think they're 4.99ea but i don't know if i should sell them to you. I replied I'll take my chances. Turns out my guess was right, I now have 4 Sturisoma panamanse, Royal farlowella catfish about 4" total length at what I thought was an awsome deal, Also pretty sure I have 2 boys and 2 girls. I even bought the 4 lyretail black mollies that were in the same tank for 1.99ea.

I know some may think I took advantage of the employee and the store, But they should have enough nowledge to know what they are selling.

I'd say that is a very good deal. I had some of these a long time ago and I am sure I paid way more than $4.99

I went into a LFS (chain store) and walked up to a tank with...

I seen the same thing happen a week ago. My friend bought 8 F. Blunders (that's what they were marked as) from a chain store... I bit of looking on the internet discovered they were freshwater flounders and he only paid 2 or 3 dollars as well... They didn't know how to enter the fish through the till so they ended up being sold as tetras... He even had to catch and bag the fish himself!

That's hilarious. Good find on your part. Serves those idiots right for never knowing what they're talking about.

I almost never buy fish from a big box petstore, but if I do I always ask to catch and bag them myself. They just don't know what they're doing and over stress the fish too often.

every single time a ask for a price from a certan "big" chain store the employee responds the same way, i dont know. they bring someone else over and 9 out of 10 times they say, i dont know, i'll have to look it up. and some of the fish are so obvious even a beginner should know what it is. i dont even know why i ask cause 99% of the time they are WAY overpriced anyway! (now you all know who im talking about) DOH!!

most stores(wal-mart, pet smart ect) dont relly know there prices and there staff do not know there fish ether, i saw at pet smart a while ago a tank of electric blues for 5.99, they were about 2 inchs. they called them mixed africans

We bought electric blue, yellow, and orange Africans at Wal-mart as well. I had to catch and bag them, because no one was working there. I just found a container full of stickers and picked the one that said "Cichlid - $1.49".

So once again, probably taking advantage of the fact that the sticker didn't match the one on the tank that said "$6.49" but hey, I saved them labor, right?

Congrats on your Cats!

We bought electric blue, yellow, and orange Africans at Wal-mart as well. I had to catch and bag them, because no one was working there. I just found a container full of stickers and picked the one that said "Cichlid - $1.49".

So once again, probably taking advantage of the fact that the sticker didn't match the one on the tank that said "$6.49" but hey, I saved them labor, right?

Congrats on your Cats!

THATS FUNNY! -roll- thats what they get for such crappy service, or in your case, NO SERVICE! :chair: good for you

Congrats on your Cats!

Now I haven't personally done this but Dalray did that at Wal-mart last time I talked to him. He bagged and then picked some tags from the "bin" and took them up to the cashier/

Congrats on your Cats!

Now I haven't personally done this but Dalray did that at Wal-mart last time I talked to him. He bagged and then picked some tags from the "bin" and took them up to the cashier/

Psst Ray, thats the girl that is always with me when we come buy fish off of you. :thumbs:

all good. technically it is illegal, but they didnt want to do anything.